Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Critical Files

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524050/windows-update-does-not-download-any-updates/ - Hamluis.

Edited by steven, 13 February 2014 - 10:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

I have a similar situation, but my inability to update is my fault for messing it up.
Shortly after I bought my computer, I downloaded a program to help my system boot faster. I unknowingly deleted to critical files that are necessary for updating, and I've tried to recover them with another program, but they've been over written.

Will this "minitoolbox" link help me restore the two critical files I need?

You need to start your own thread, not hijack another one.

#3 steven

steven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

Wasn't aware that I was hijacking anything. Just a continuation of the op.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524050/windows-update-does-not-download-any-updates/ - Hamluis.

...Shortly after I bought my computer, I downloaded a program to help my system boot faster. I unknowingly deleted two critical files that are necessary for updating, and I've tried to recover them with another program, but they've been over written....

Details would likely be helpful. :)

#5 steven

steven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

I don't have any specific details, other than my system details.

I downloaded an online tool from kommando.com and I should have read the specifics better. I no longer have it because I didn't want to use it accidentally again.
The purpose of the tool was to increase start up time by getting rid of unnecessary start up stuff.
I've tried using freeundelete and pcinspector, but both programs said the files were over written and unrecoverable.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Try Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva .  The review I read of freeundelete was not very flattering.

Louis

#7 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Won't system restore solve that problem ?

Edited by sleepwalker, 16 February 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#8 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Ah, only if they have a restore point. Startup Repair MIGHT work, wouldn't hold your breath though.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#9 steven

steven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I have tried freeundelete, recuva, and pcdoctor. Freeundelete actually discovered the two files (I should have written down the names, but I didn't), and all the programs said the files were over written.

Yes, a full system restore (reimage) will fix my problem, but I was hoping to avoid doing that.
The computer works fine, but I know in time it wont work because my other updates are being affected by the ms updater issue. Ex. adobe won't properly update anymore. It tries, but I always get the alert after, that it may not have installed properly.
All my av, am, and security stuff still updates fine.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

I think system restore as mentioned by sleepwalker referred to restoring to a date just prior to when your issue began, NOT a system recovery to restore the computer to out of the box status.

Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.

When system restore opens use the Choose a different restore point option.

If you don't see a date prior to when the issue began check Show more restore points.

Make your choice, then click Next.

As stated by AlexSmithFanning this will work only if you have restore points to use.

#11 steven

steven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

All good ideas. I sure do wish I could remember when I 1st did the freeundelete thing. (I deleted that a long time ago)
Will I lose my saved bookmarks if I use the restore point option?

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

One of the items repaired by Windows Repair (All In One) Download is Windows updates.

I would allow it to run all repairs.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 steven

steven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up and the link Buddy.
I'll try that. and if that doesn't work, I'll try the system restore, close to the point where I bought my computer, lol.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

Your bookmarks will not be affected by a system restore.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

If the files was deleted from a parent file you can try recovering it from the shadow copy by right clicking the parent file and going to properties then to previous versions tab.

So as an example.... if you have a file like this....C:\Users\Username\Some_Directory\Some_Deleted_File

Copy Some_Directory to the desktop to back it up. You then right click Some_Directory and go to Previous versions and restore the whole thing. Compare the two directories for the changes and recover your lost file. Merge them together and delete the one on the desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users