Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

suspected hdd failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 weezerific

weezerific

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

Hey all,
I want to make sure I'm right about what's wrong with my comp before I buy a new hard dive...
I have a sony vaio E series 15 laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 bit, 750gb WD SATA HD. It has recently had a couple BSODs and I suspect the HD is failing. A week ago it bsod but rebooted before I saw the error, and the dump failed. Yesterday, it did it again, but this time I had kept it from rebooting and got the error codes. Kernal-data-inpage-error, 0x0000007a. Secondary error codes were (0xfffff6fc80614f8, 0xffffffffc0000056, 0x0000000114e8b880, 0xfffff900c289ffd0) with a crash dump failure status 0xc0000010 (interesting side note: that first secondary error code has no matches in Google, and that's copied directly off a pic I took off the blue screen). I ran chkdsk, which found 268 unreadable files in the first step. What it found after that is a mystery, because the log file cut off partway through the list of unreadable sections. It boots fine, but hangs when I try to run any program, even in safe mode, including mini tools, which I have from the last time the hard drive died on this rather new computer.

I'm assuming the next step is to test the hard drive with a program I can boot from a CD? Any suggestions? This hd is only a year old, the first one was replaced under warranty after only 6 months. Also, does anyone have an idea how an otherwise great computer has killed two hard drives in 18 months?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abc30111960

abc30111960

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

Hey all,
I want to make sure I'm right about what's wrong with my comp before I buy a new hard dive...
I have a sony vaio E series 15 laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 bit, 750gb WD SATA HD. It has recently had a couple BSODs and I suspect the HD is failing. A week ago it bsod but rebooted before I saw the error, and the dump failed. Yesterday, it did it again, but this time I had kept it from rebooting and got the error codes. Kernal-data-inpage-error, 0x0000007a. Secondary error codes were (0xfffff6fc80614f8, 0xffffffffc0000056, 0x0000000114e8b880, 0xfffff900c289ffd0) with a crash dump failure status 0xc0000010 (interesting side note: that first secondary error code has no matches in Google, and that's copied directly off a pic I took off the blue screen). I ran chkdsk, which found 268 unreadable files in the first step. What it found after that is a mystery, because the log file cut off partway through the list of unreadable sections. It boots fine, but hangs when I try to run any program, even in safe mode, including mini tools, which I have from the last time the hard drive died on this rather new computer.

I'm assuming the next step is to test the hard drive with a program I can boot from a CD? Any suggestions? This hd is only a year old, the first one was replaced under warranty after only 6 months. Also, does anyone have an idea how an otherwise great computer has killed two hard drives in 18 months?

Hi ! Here is a link to Seagate Sea tools; I have not used it; still I am giving it

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/seagateseatools.htm  Please write to me whether it is useful.

Besides I hope You would have safely created a back -up- if not do it now.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

I use to HDDScan to test disks... I find it very reliable and accurate on all brands or disks.

I'm guessing that you have just had an unlucky break with disks, it happens. If you use applications that use a lot of write/modify processes (like media production for example) they can die sooner, but normally around the 24 months stage. Let us know the results of your scans...

#4 weezerific

weezerific
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure I can use these. The Seagate scan for DOS only works on Seagate or Maxtor drives and mine is western digital, and I can't seem to find a bootable version of HDDScan. At the moment the computer can't get past loading windows files to even boot.
Also, I backed up a week ago, but I'm afraid everything since then is toast.

Edited by weezerific, 13 February 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

you can always buy a USB docking station, they cost from $10...

This will allow you to test the disk from another computer, and attempt to retrieve your data also. Very handy to have.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

The Seagate scan for DOS only works on Seagate or Maxtor drives and mine is western digital, and I can't seem to find a bootable version of HDDScan. At the moment the 

Actually, SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.

If the mohterboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

If you need to change the configuration you will have to go into the BIOS to make the change.

Western Digital has its own diagnostic tool, it's called Data Lifeguard.  You will want to download the Data Lifeguard for DOS.

Once you have downloaded it you will need to burn it to a disc.  To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Edited by dc3, 13 February 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users