Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's filling up the Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tucats

Tucats

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

My brother gave my son his old HP Pavillion dv4000 Laptop (circa 2005/2006). It has a Toshiba MK1031 Hard drive showing 99.8 Gb useable HD capacity and only 13.4 Gb of free space. My brother removed all his personal info(documents, music, movies etc) from the laptop and it looks pretty clean but something is obviously taking up a lot of HD space. There is not even enough space to properly run a defrag as it gives a warning that it needs a minimum of 15Gb free to do so. It only has normal programs on it and none of them appear to be memory hogs. So where do you suppose the HD space has gone? Could it be in the Restore files? I'd like to free up at least half the 99Gb's before I turn this thing over to my son. It is using Windows XP Home as an OS. Thanks for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

You can use a tool like WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html or TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/ to really find out what is occupying partition/drive space.

Louis

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

A few possibilities could be:

Corrupted file system (causing incorrect free space to be reported by the OS).

System Restore images

Deleted stuff still in Recycle bin, old temp files etc.

To check the file system, open "My Computer", right click the drive in question and choose Properties.  Under the Tools tab click Error Checking. Ensure "Automatically fix file system errors" is checked and click Start.  It will schedule it to be done on the next restart as the drive will be in use.  Restart the computer and allow the check to run.

To delete all but the most recent System Restore, again right click the drive in "My Computer" and choose Properties, and click Disk Cleanup.  This contains options for deleting temp files, emptying recycle bin etc.  In the "More Options" tab, you can choose to delete all but the most recent System Restore.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Tucats

Tucats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the info. I will try these and see what happens. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users