Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows update messed something up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

I shut the computer down earlier to head into town...  I was surprised to see it had so many updates to do as that doesn't happen often...  most of the time it's just 1 here and 1 there... So, I shut it down and left...
I just got home and when I turned it on... it finished the updates.  If any messages popped up temporarily I missed it... but when I came back and windows was finished loading... wow... nothing was there that should have been and the background was different... then something popped up in the tray saying I was logged into a temporary account and I could try logging out and in again.  Not sure what that was about but... okay.
So, I logged back into my normal account and
It was back to normal but a bunch of icons were gone from the desktop...  I shut it down and restarted... they're still gone.  More than half a dozen.  I don't remember what they all were...  I know the recycle bin is one but I have that up in a dock anyway...  I checked in the recycle bin, they're not there. 
The rest would have been program shortcuts and/or actual files saved to the desktop.

What in the world happened that I lost icons?  And possibly files?
I wish I could remember what files they were.

I went into the update history and everything shows "Successful" 
But, here's the list...

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (wont type in ALL the details for these) (KB2901110)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 (KB2901112)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64 based systems (KB2916036)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 (KB2898857)

Security update for windows 7 (KB2862973)

Update for Windows 7 (KB2913751)

security update for microsoft .net framework 4 (KB2898855)

Security update for windows 7 (KB2912390)

Security update for microsoft .net framework 3.5.1 (KB2911501)

Security update for IE 11 for win 7 (KB2909210)

cumulative security update for IE 11 for win 7 (KB2909921)

I really want to make sure that I didn't lost anything important with those files being gone.
Any suggestions on what happened or how to recover anything lost?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

what's the appropriate time to wait before bumping a topic?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

I think you've been a member long enough to know...that bumping a topic is obnoxious and usually does no good.  If someone has something to say in response to your topic...or any topic...they will do so when they feel like it and there is nothing that you can do to hasten that process :).

Louis

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

In many forums there's something of a protocol for time when it comes to bumping.  I do know it can be obnoxious... but, I also know that posts can get lost.  Many people looking at topics look at recent ones.  I'm not trying to put pressure, I'm just concerned that a topic could go unanswered.  Eventually someone wants to know "hey, has anyone seen this?  and, does anyone have any ideas?"  I'm just asking how long one should wait before that's necessary.  I honestly don't feel I can assume that someone will eventually respond.
A person waiting for answers can get anxious...  I'll admit, I am a bit.  I don't want to be annoying.  I know there's a LOT of topics on here...  but at some point, a person would have to ask again, or bump the post.  I mean...  I waited 24 hours(minus 10 minutes)...  maybe that's not long enough for this forum... but, what about after 2 days? or 3?  or a week?  I'm just asking what's the protocol... what's the norm? or acceptable period of time before a person asks again. 
I'm only asking so that I know and wont annoy anyone in the future... 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

This system repair application can help in situations like yours. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but I also see Windows break itself with updates on a fairly regular basis. Just go with the default settings, and make sure you do choose to create new restore points when prompted.

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can figure out what icons I lost?  Some may have been actual files and I can't figure where they would have gone.  I know at least a few were just shortcuts and it's not a big loss but I really don't remember every one that's missing.

I ran that program.  It didn't do much.

#8 soFluffy

soFluffy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

The same thing happened to me when I updated a few days ago. I was missing my desktop background and shortcuts, pinned start menu shortcuts, and icons on my bottom taskbar. I'm not exactly sure which patch is responsible. I ended up doing a system restore to before I did the patch update and that seemed to return everything back to normal. Currently the only patch I'm missing is KB2913751, so I'm wondering if that's the culprit.

Hope this helps.

#9 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

Thank you.  I will try a system restore and then will do the windows updates one at a time, leaving that one alone for now.  Then I'll see if I can dig anything up online about that one.

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

This just hasn't been my week...  I apologize for my frustration.  It really has been a difficult week... I suffer from anxiety and there's a LOT going on... and when I get stuck with a computer... it drives me bonkers.
Anyway... I tried system restore... several times.  I ran some cleanup and checkdisk as one discussion on another site suggested... I then tried system restore from safe mode...  I keep getting an error that it failed...  0x8000ffff I believe.  I can get the whole message up if need be.  It suggested running restore to an earlier date which I tried... or advanced recovery which would include reinstalling windows... which, I would not want to do and sure would not resolve my issue of missing items on my desktop...  I mean, I don't even remember what all of them were.
eh... I have other issues going on here that are stressing me out and this just doesn't help.  Makes it so difficult to focus.

I REALLY want to find out what all disappeared from my desktop...  I don't even care if I can "fix" it all... I just want to know if anything important is missing and if so, if it can be recovered.
System restore seems like a logical way to attempt that but... that's just not working.
Grrrrrrr

Edit:  Any chance uninstalling that one windows update would cause icons to pop back up?  I kind of doubt it but I'm having trouble thinking of anything really useful at the moment.

Edited by millipede, 15 February 2014 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users