Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can RAM wait a month?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LiquidFox

LiquidFox

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Desperate to finally grab a few parts to upgrade my PC, I have hopes to be able to get a new GPU. I'm going with a GeForce GTX650 and a 450-500w PSU. My CPU: Athlon II X4 635, Motherboard AMD 785, with 2x2GB RAM, currently  a 250w PSU. Can I use this graphics card and get some 2x4GB RAM sticks in a month? Will everything function and I notice a performance boost? Really trying to get the best within my budget. Thank you for any and all advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tucats

Tucats

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

I am no expert but I have been told that increasing your RAM is about the cheapest and fastest way to increase your PC performance. Why not change the RAM and PSU out first?

#3 LiquidFox

LiquidFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

In my mind, my GPU is my crucial right now, as I am running an integrated radeon HD 4200, right now. It draws it's memory from my CPU so having a dedicated card will free up a little there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

You need to get a new PSU first. I don't see your current PSU functioning with any upgrade. So change it out first.

This would make a great riddle for new techs :thumbup2:

#5 LiquidFox

LiquidFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

Desperate to finally grab a few parts to upgrade my PC, I have hopes to be able to get a new GPU. I'm going with a GeForce GTX650 and a 450-500w PSU. My CPU: Athlon II X4 635, Motherboard AMD 785, with 2x2GB RAM, currently  a 250w PSU. Can I use this graphics card and get some 2x4GB RAM sticks in a month? Will everything function and I notice a performance boost? Really trying to get the best within my budget. Thank you for any and all advice.

I stated I am purchasing the PSU.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

I'm with Tucats, upgrade your RAM and power supply unit (PSU) first, then the video card.  Even if the on board card is pulling from system RAM when you install more RAM you'll have that issue covered.  As Tucats stated, RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  I am trusting that you are running a 64 bit operating system (OS), otherwise going over 4GB isn't going to help as it won't be recognized by your OS.

#7 LiquidFox

LiquidFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yea, Win 7, 64

I'm basically trying to upgrade the best I can without buying a new CPU and motherboard. I have a 2.9ghz quad core, so I figured I'd be alright for awhile.

#8 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

You didn't specify the fell specs on your motherboard but you'll need to make sure it will support 4GB sticks of RAM.

#9 LiquidFox

LiquidFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

It can. Up to 16gb.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

in my ever so humble opinion .new psu and gpu will be fine until you get more ram ,the new GPU will have its own 1024mb gddr5 ram,and according to gforce site it will work with the psu you have chosen ,min 400w

nice card for the money

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297.html

Edited by caperjac, 14 February 2014 - 04:27 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Now that the dust seems to be settling you next move once you accumulate the jingle is an SSD then you will really rock!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#12 LiquidFox

LiquidFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Awesome. I'm actually going to post a thread about a separate build on this forum, please check it out for me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users