Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running slow and freezing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 r8der

r8der

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hello I've been experience problems with my computer its starting to run really slow and hangs when opening up files and folders also when I open up google chrome. Its really bad at start up where the computer locks up completely to where I cant do anything so I have to force shutdown. I've ran virus scans and everything comes back clean. Can you please help me get my computer back to running normal as I use this computer for a recording studio. I'm running a Dell XPS 8500 Windows 7 Home Premium 8.00 GB ram 3.70 ghz

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

Have you tried a Restore to a point before you had the problems.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

For Vista go here

For Windows Seven go here

Take a look at this page created by miekiemoes, one of the Global Moderators here, on slow systems, and some things you can try to do to try to improve it. Help! My computer is slow!

You may also find this helpful: Slow Computer?

[You have a lot of processes running at startup that are unnecessary, and can cause a system slowdown.Unnecessary processes running at startup can cause a system slowdown.] Choose one.

Please download Malwarebytes' StartUpLite and save it to your Desktop.Double-click StartUpLite.exe to run the program.

This will display all unnecessary startup entries.Select all options you would like executed, then select Continue.

I recommend you disable them all, and see if there is any improvement in the computer's speed.

#4 r8der

r8der
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

Thank you for your replies I will try these methods in the morning and keep you guys updated

#5 r8der

r8der
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

Update! Did everything as you guys instructed and my computer ran fine for 1 day but today I fired up my pc and the taskbar froze so I forced shut down turn it back on the taskbar didnt freeze this time but when I opened up a folder it took forever to open same thing with google chrome and windows media player it would take forever to load up. It only does it randomly it will run fine for awhile then out of no where it starts to hang when going to different web pages and opening up folders and programs it will take forever to do something. the problem comes and goes. Im thinking of doing a repair install. Maybe that will fix whatever is causing this issue I just hope nothing gets deleted as this is my recording studio computer

#6 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? I would run hardware diagnostics before proceeding with any more software solutions. Your pc manufacturer may have built in diagnostics, if not, there are other tools that can be run

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

The following will give all of us more data re the system.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#8 Nickbc

Nickbc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

Two recommendations.

First, make sure you don't have a search conduit.  You have it if your homepage has changed and it show ads.

Second, you need to upgrade your hard drive to a Solid State Drive (SSD).  Regular spinning hard drive is the bottleneck to modern systems.  SSD will dramatically improve any systems performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users