Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Adobe Reader XI (11.0.6) won't uninstall/remove pop-up loop persists

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mermaidvoice

mermaidvoice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Would so appreciate any help with this Adobe Reader uninstall....to start...I use this program occasionally to print postage for packages and the site requires a download of the Adobe program....I downloaded it and uninstalled it with ease about 2 weeks ago.  Then, a few days ago I downloaded it again with the intent of using it and uninstalling it--and it refused to work/open at all.  I tried numerous times to reinstall it and then uninstall it but to not avail....it refuses to run or to uninstall.

When I click on Change/Remove in my Add/Remove Programs Menu....I get a pop-up with a message at the top that says:  "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is not available."......to the right of this statement it has two boxes that offer the options of OK or Cancel....then beneath that statement it says:  "Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'AcroRead.msi in the box below'....".....then there is a window under that that says "use source" above it and "Browse" to the right with the following typed into it:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Setup\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}\

when I click OK, I get another pop-up that says:  The path "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Setup\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}\ " cannot be found.  Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package AcroRead.msi" in a folder which you can install the product AdobeReaderXI (11.0.6)

So I search for that folder and it comes up as being non-existent.....I then click Cancel and I get a popup of "The installation source for this product is not available.  Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

I hope I haven't posted the wrong stuff here, if so I apologize....I am at my wits end with how to proceed to remove this and am wondering what the problem is...is this a Windows XP error or a virus of some sort or just my ignorance?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you in advance.

P.S.  This is all on my own personal laptop....I don't understand why I am getting messages about a network.....my computer is the only one on my system.  Thank you again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

The error is occuring because the installer is looking for files in a temp folder that are no longer there.

Extra care is needed with this tool. Download Microsoft Installer Cleanup.  Run it in an admin account and only select Adobe Reader XI if it is in the list (If it is not in the list exit out) and then press the remove button making absolutely sure no other programs other than Adobe Reader is selected. Then I would try reinstalling Adobe Reader again.

I would recommend that you do not constantly uninstall and install the program.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 February 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#3 mermaidvoice

mermaidvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

Why Hello!  Thank you so much!  This did the trick!  Program uninstalled.....one further question....is it necessary to leave the Microsoft Installer Cleanup on my computer now?  I am guessing it would be best since I may need it in the future if I can't uninstall something?

I will follow your advice about not installing and uninstalling constantly....I didn't realize this was a poor practice.

Thank you!  What a fabulous web site!  I wish I knew about it before this!  So great!

Hope you have a terrific rest-of-the week!

Debbie

Off I go to reinstall Adobe Reader and also the Flash Player....

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Your Welcome, and thank you for the update. Yes, you can remove the Installer cleanup if you wish.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

FWIW:  See   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651 .

Louis

#6 mermaidvoice

mermaidvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

Thank you, appreciate the help and links!  Much learning to do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users