Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No wireless connection icon available

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Techbean

Techbean

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I've just installed xp on an old toshiba satellite I've got but can't access any wireless function. I have tried updating all the drivers but this doesn't help. I don't currently fly have the driver for my wireless card however I can't download it off of the toshiba website since it doesn't come with the model of laptop and the operating system I have since the latest OS for this laptop model is vista.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

There should be a yellow exclamation mark next to your wireless adapter in Device Manager. Right click select properites and under the Details tab there is a dropdown box. Select Hardware ID's and provide the data shown in the image in your next post.

original.jpg

#3 Techbean

Techbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

Hi there and thank you.

I can't actually see the wireless adapter in the device manager and there is only a realtek adapter that looks like it is for wired connection only. Is there any way to actually get the wireless adapter on the device manager since I don't currently see it.

I am at college at the moment but will post a screenshot of what I see when I get home.

Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

It's possible the wireless adapter is part of the chipset drivers. What is the model number of the Toshiba laptop?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 February 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#5 Techbean

Techbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

The model number is PSL40E - 02R00NEN

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

The specs list it as having an atheros chip so I cannot understand why there is no exclamation marks showing a wireless adapter. Is there anything in BIOS that enables or disables wireless?

Edit: I found the atheros driver for Vista but nothing yet for XP but if an XP does not detect the wireless chip, I am not sure even if I find a driver it will work. I will keep looking. You also have the option of purchasing a USB wireless device if the driver cannot be found or work.

Edit Edit: I found this Toshiba wireless site. The XP atheros driver may or may not work.

https://aps.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/?page=downloads

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 February 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#7 Techbean

Techbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

Okay thank you very much, I will install it and get back to you on how it goes

#8 Techbean

Techbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:31 AM

So I think I've encountered another problem of the files won't ven run on my laptop. I've tried opening the actual application however it refuses to do anything. I am going to try installing vista since I can't seem to do anything else.

Thanks for the help anyhow :)

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

An alternative which will save you the sweat of re-installing Vista would be to buy a USB wireless dongle, they are available for about £UK 15 up (about $US 20 and up), and I can assure you they work very well in older Toshiba laptops running XP. I have had one sitting beside me doing exactly that all day, and I got six months worth of updates done. This one doesn't get used very much or very often.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

Is there anything in BIOS that enables or disables wireless?

On an old Hp compaq 2510p Laptop I own thats exactly what happened, No matter what I tried Wifi wouldnt work, And was not even shown in device manager So I gave up for a while. Then 1 day I was messing with the bios( bored) and as I always do when messing in bios on exit I select restore default settings, And bingo my little wifi led light on the pc came on after that it worked fine.

Ps

I remember now why I was messing in BIOS, the said laptop has a finger print scanner( It scans your fingerprint at log in as a security thing ) on it that I wanted to try out.

Do not ask how that went.............

@ Chris yes I got 1 of these till I sorted out the HP

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nano-USB-802-11n-WiFi-N-Wireless-Adapter-Mini-Network-Dongle-For-PC-Laptop-/321201924435?pt=AU_Components&hash=item4ac9206953

Edited by NickAu1, 05 March 2014 - 08:33 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users