Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old HD in new computer, how do I copy wifes stuff?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lardadclark

lardadclark

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

I am trying to move my wifes files to a new comp. but am not sure what to copy and where to put them so she can get to  them just like on the old one....I have a HD enclosure and have the old one plugged in the usb. now what do I do ....HELP....The old comp is win 7 and I started getting error message : NO BOOT DISC HAS BEEN DETECTED OR THE DISC HAS FAILED  so I bought a new win 8 gateway desktop and she likes it.....so far....but she does not deal well with change so I want to get all her stuff on the new one. Thanx for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

First off - Welcome to BC !

You say your wife doesn't like change. Have you installed the Win 8.1 upgrade / service pack / whatever ?  This gives you the option to boot direct to the desktop - icons and all - and will look a lot more like Win 7.

Given that you were getting error messages about possible hard drive faults, if you open Windows Explorer and you see her files on the old HD ? If you can, then you can just use Windows Explorer to move then by 'drag and drop' to the internal hard drive. I don't know if she uses 'MyDocs' as her main file store or whether, like me, she uses a folder called 'Workfile' to keep her work in. If she does the latter, that is easy - just drag the whole folder across in one go and place it on her 'C' drive (that's one reason I use it, it makes doing back-ups a doddle !).

If she uses 'Mydocs' it is a little more complicated but you do essentially the same thing. You should also have a look in 'C:\Users' for any stray files in her name and default and do the same with them.

Given that there may be damage to the hard drive, if you can see the files in Windows Explorer then try opening one or two first - just to make sure there is no corruption. If there is, or you cannot see the files, then, first things first, disconnect the hard drive to avoid any additional damage, then post back here for more advice.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

You need to place the old hard drive in a external Enclosure.  Your machine is trying to boot on the old drive, so that is why you are getting the error message.  When you boot up with your computer, and go to click on the external drive, you will have to change the security settings, so that you have access to the folders on the old drive.  See below how to change security settings on the old drive.

You may need to modify the permissions of the folders and/or files. Please refer to the link listed below for more information about this:

Folder and file permissions

Here are the steps to modify ownership and permissions:

1. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
    2. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    3. Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

·         To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, inEnter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

·         To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

4.       If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

5.       Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

6.       Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Additional considerations

• An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.
    • Assigning ownership of a file or a folder might require you to elevate your permissions using User Access Control.

This is the same thing, but a little brief in how to do it.

Instructions

Plug your external hard drive into your computer and wait for it to load.

Open your external hard drive. Go to "My Computer" and double-click your external drive, which should be located under "Devices With Removable Storage."

Right-click on a folder in your external drive and select "Properties." This opens a pop-up window that allows you to make changes to the folder's security settings.

Click on the "Security" tab located at the top of the window.

Change the permissions for the folder. You can choose from a list of permissions ranging from "Full Control" to "List Only." "Full Control" allows anyone to read or write to the folder. "List Only" only allows users to see the files inside the folder, but not read or write to the folder. Choose a permission to change the security settings of the folder.

Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the window to save the changes to permissions. You have now successfully changed the security of a folder on your external drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users