Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail Failures - Is It Spam Or Have I Caught Something

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phantom65

Phantom65

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:15 AM

Over the last month I have been getting a huge number of mail failure messages which I presume to be spam so delete without opening.

By huge I mean 20-30 per day. I send out c.3-4 e-mails per week!

If I hover over the sender or check the properties there is often a foreign address so I am sure that they are not from people I know.

Is this becoming a common method of spamming or have I picked up a nasty that is trying to send mail anywhere and everywhere? I have noted that it's not just when my PC is switched on though, I can check my mail through my ISP remotely and regularly delete a few before they get downloaded at home.

I am using XP Home and Incredimail, AVG antivirus (free) updated daily, and I scan the PC with Spybot and Adaware on a weekly basis.

Has anyone has come across this?
How can I be free/How can I get out
Am I really me/Am I Someone else

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

It may simply be spam. The first thing a spammer has to do is get you to OPEN the email, so they put subject lines in that will entice you, such as "I love you", or they even make it look like the email is a response to an email you sent (which you never actually sent) by putting a "re:" in front of some enticing line. Could be something like 're: your check' or 're: that information you requested'.

And another trick is to get you to open your emails is to make it look like it a a failure letter from your ISP. In other words when you actually send an email and it gets bounced back because of a wrong email addy or somthing, then your ISP will send you a 'failure' notice. Spammers now often make thier spam emails look like failure letters so that you will open them and read them, perhaps even click on the attachment.

Just a word to the wise: Never click on an attachment you weren't expecting.

Sometimes attachments will have names like mydog.jpg which sounds innocent enough, a picture of a dog, right? But upon closer inspection you may see something like

mydog.jpg ..................... .exe

It is actually an .exe file, meaning it is a program, it simply has a lot of spaces in it's title.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 12 May 2006 - 10:24 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

Thats very helpful info AF.
I wsnt aware of some of that...

Thanks.

#4 Phantom65

Phantom65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:36 PM

Thanks Albert, that has settled me a little.

Only problem now of course is if any of the mail failures are genuine and I don't realise - I might be cursing someone for not responding to something they didn't get.

Hey ho - I guess it keeps them [spammers] off the streets (but I'm quite ticked off really!!)

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:07 PM

You can always save any E-mails you send in a "Sent E-mail" folder and then compare the details(without opening any attachments, of course) from the mailer-deamon to those you have saved. Usuallya legimate return notice is sent almost immediately or at least the same day.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Phantom65

Phantom65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

I'll do that, cheers John :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic