Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel 2010 via attachment opening in trial version

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hello

I have excel 2010 professional on my pc.  It work fine when I create a new spreadsheet.

My problem is when somebody send me an excel spreadsheet via email as an attachment, the spreadsheet tries to open using the trial version of excel which is no longer on my PC

I tried to change the default program but find the professional  Microsoft office package  ( excel) to complete the match.

I would appreciate any help on fixing this problem

Thanks

T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

If I understand your post correctly, you have realised that the problem is one of changing the association of these attached files from the trial version to the professional version of Excel. If this is correct, I sympathise - it is not that obvious.

I don't know if you are trying to run these files directly from the attachment in the e-mail or if you are downloading them first.If you are trying to run them, download one to a location where you can find it - 'Downloads' will do fine but it is your choice. Then use Windows Explorer to navigate to where you downloaded this file to. When you have found it, left click on it once, to select it, then RIGHT click on it, and in the diaalogue box that pops up you will see 'Open with...' . This will produce another dialogue box which has an Excel icon in it. DON'T click on this. In the bottom right hand corner you will see a box marked 'Browse' - click on this instead. Now all you have to do is find the Excel.exe file for Office 2010 !

This lives inside either 'Program files' (32 bit systems) or 'Program files(x86)' (64 bit systems). Click on whichever of these is appropriate. Then click on 'Microsoft Office'. Inside this you you may see two or three folders called 'Office x, and y, and z'. I am guessing slightly here, but I know Office 2003 is 'Office 11' and Office 2007 is 'Office 12' so Office 2010 is probably 'Office 13'. Click on this to open it and you will see the file 'Excel.exe' or just 'Excel' depending on how Explorer is set up, but in either case it will have a small version of the Excel icon beside it. Click on this to select it, then tick the box on the opposite side of the dialogue box from 'Browse'. It is marked 'Always use the selected program to open this type of file.

Exit from this dialogue box and double click on the file you downloaded and it should open in your version of Office 2010 Pro.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users