Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet and local access only via wifi. cannot use ethernet cable.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 trauts14

trauts14

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

My Windows Vista laptop all of a sudden will not get on the internet when ethernet cable is plugged in. I get local access and internet only via wifi. I took the computer to work and had the same result. I do not have a static IP set on the computer. I can connect to my printer and network cams only via wifi. As soon as I plug in the cat5 cable I cannot access the internet. Any suggestions and assistance would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Is it enabled? What does it look like in Device Manager? Have you tried removing it from Device Manager and rebooting?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

i did not try checking device manager. how would I go about checking this? I was thinking maybe a pin or the whole rj45 port was broken. can you assist me in checking the device manager for this?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

on your keyboard - hold down the Windows key and type the Pause Break button, on the left click Device Manager. In the list look for Network Adapters. Click the arrow to expand it, if there is a yellow ! you won't have to. Either way right click  your adapter and click Uninstall. Then reboot. If there was a yellow ! that means something was wrong with the driver and this may not work but it's harmless to do. If it doesn't fix the issue or there is a yellow !, report back. well report back if it does fix it lol =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

There was a yellow "yield sign." I did uninstall that and then i installed legacy hardware. i no longer see the yellow yield sign, but i am still having the same issue.

#6 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Disregard my last post....the yellow warning/yield sign is still present.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

that means the driver it has is messed up. Go back into Device manager, right click it and click Properties. Click the Driver tab. If Roll Back Driver is available click it, chances are it won't be tho. What kind of computer do you have? HP? Dell? You can try their support site for the driver. If you can't find it or aren't sure which, report back with the make and model of your PC and we'll find you the correct link.

If you find it download it and click Uninstall on the drivers tab of the properties window. find the driver download and double click it(normally they are either zipped and will install or they're an exe that will run and install) it should find the NIC and install what's needed. Maybe after a reboot. if not report back and we'll go from there. 

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

It is not legacy hardware, so there is no need to use that part of Device Manger.  You need to go to the computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer, if this was a custom built computer, and download the wired ethernet adapter driver.  It is possible that the ethernet adapter is shot so you will need a new one for the machine, that would plug into a PC or PCIe slot.

Is this a laptop or desktop?  What is the manufacturer & model of the computer?

#9 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

Rollback is not highlighted for the driver. I have a HP G60 (G60-453NR). I was not sure how to go about downloading this driver. 

#10 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

You just need to go to hp.com, click on support, enter the model#, and then look for the driver for the device.  Since Rollback is not available, you will have to uninstall the driver & device in device manager.  Now there is an easier way to get to device manager in Vista.  Just go to Control Panel and look for Device Manager, or down in the search area after you click on the Start Orb, type in "Device" and it will start to bring up choices that start with Device.  Just choose "Device Manager".  Not all keyboards will state Pause/Break.  For instance on my keyboard there is no longer a Pause/Break.  They are separate keys.  That is why with the older versions of Windows, I do not even mention those keyboard shortcuts, other then Winkey + L for locking or Winkey + D for hiding what you are doing in a program (very useful in offices).

#11 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

I went to HP and found the drivers for my particular computer. The adapter in my computer is the "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #10" and I do not see this on the HP support page. I only see what is listed below:

Atheros 2011 Wireless LAN Driver 2010-10-15 , Version1.10, 79.23M

This package contains the drivers for the supported Atheros Wireless LAN Adapters in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.   (More details)
By downloading you agree to HP’s  Terms of Use
Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers for Microsoft Windows Vista 2009-10-22 , Version13.0, 7.08M

(‏Previous versions available)‏ This package contains the drivers required to enable the functionality of the Intel Wireless LAN Adapters (see Devices Supported) in the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems.   (More details)
Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista 2009-09-18 , Version5.60.18.8, 20.55M

(‏Previous versions available)‏ This package contains drivers for the supported Broadcom Wireless LAN adapters in the supported notebook models and operating systems. This driver supports 802.11i/WPA2 for WLAN cards that are capable ...   (More details)
HP Wireless Assistant 2009-03-17 , Version3.50.5.1, 3.53M

This package contains the HP Wireless Assistant for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The HP Wireless Assistant is a user application that provides a way to control the ...   (More details)
Atheros Wireless LAN Driver 2009-03-04 , Version3.00 A, 18.94M

This package contains the driver to support the Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Adapter in the supported notebook models and operating systems.   (More details)
Software Support for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology for Microsoft Windows Vista 2008-08-20 , Version6.0 P, 49.11M

This package contains the software required to support the HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology in the supported notebook models and operating systems. The HP Integrated Module with ...   (More details)
Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC Driver 2008-07-24 , Version6.207.606.2008 A, 5.01M

This package contains the driver for the Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC in the supported notebook models and operating systems.   (More details)

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

ok Windows + Break = faster than moving your hand to the mouse and back to type. Anyway,

You need the last one. It is the only one for the NIC. So Uninstall the driver, remove the device, and reboot. When the PC comes back up, double click the file you downloaded. It's an exe file so it should do everything. Just follow the instructions on screen. It may reboot or not. When it's finished check device manager to make sure no yellow ! and all is well. Then plug in and see. Hope that fixes it and you don't have to spend $$ on a new card. Let us know. If you have any questions or you're unclear about something be sure to ask. =)

#13 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

Microsoft Isatap is the modem, not the ethernet.  If there is a Ethernet adapter in there, really cannot tell you, due to I am not in physical in my hands with the unit.  Suggest you look at the Specifications at hp.com on this model, to get more familiar with the hardware that is in it, when they built the unit in the factory.

Edited by Greg62702, 13 February 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#14 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

@Forum Addict I followed your instructions. I uninstalled the driver. I then installed (reinstall) the driver which i obtained from HP's website. the problem is still there, and now the driver is not present. i no longer see the ISATAP driver with the exclamation mark/yield sign. i have rebooted multiple times after reinstalling the driver. i still can only access the internet/local content via wifi.

#15 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Possible that the ethernet adapter chip is fried.  Just asking us is like throwing darts at a dartboard blindfolded.  When you go to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3983155 and click the "Scan Now" Radio button, does it find the proper drivers for your notebook?  If it does not find the Ethernet driver, then you are going to have to physically pick up the phone and call HP tech support to further help you out with this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users