Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

urgent help needed recover photos from a deleted account

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

I have accidentally delted a use acc ans the files and photos within I dont have system restore activated. I am wondering if their is ant way of recovering those photos they r of my gfs brother who passed away 3 months ago I hurd of programs like undeletemyfiles pro not sure if any programs work. plz help thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

sorry typos im using my phone

corrected first line

*I have accidentally deleted a user account*

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Do not write anything to the hard drive that has the deleted files. Download Recuva portable to another computer and unzip it to a flash drive. Attach the flash drive to the computer with the deleted files and run Recuva off the flash drive.  If you are running a 64bit system doubleclick  Recuva64.exe

If it can recover your deleted files, make sure you copy the files to the flash drive and not back to the hard drive with the deleted files or they could be lost permanently.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features/portable-version

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/screenshots

#4 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Do not write anything to the hard drive that has the deleted files. Download Recuva portable to another computer and unzip it to a flash drive. Attach the flash drive to the computer with the deleted files and run Recuva off the flash drive.  If you are running a 64bit system doubleclick  Recuva64.exe

If it can recover your deleted files, make sure you copy the files to the flash drive and not back to the hard drive with the deleted files or they could be lost permanently.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features/portable-version

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/screenshot ls

ok dude recuva worked i didnt do it exactly as u said, I just installed recuva on my laptop where the files were lost, and i ran the scan it did find the photos that were deleted i recovered 2 of them and placed them on the desktop but i cant open them it says `windows photo viewer cant open this picture because either photo viewer doesnt support this file format, or you do not have the latest updates for photo viewer`` it found all the pictures but i only recovered 3 of them what do i do from here now.

#5 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

i am going to fallow your guide but cant i just download recuva and put it on the flash drive FROM THIS computer where the files were lost why do i have to actually DOWNLOAD it from another computer

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

When Windows deletes a file, it just marks it as deleted and hides it from the system. If you download a file to the laptop or do browsing, files are added to the system and it's very possible that these files that are written to the hard drive will overwrite the file that was deleted as Windows now says the space occupied by the deleted file is now available. The more times you access and write to the hard drive that has the deleted files, the less chance there will be of recovery. When you downloaded Recuva to the laptop that had the deleted files there is a good chance you just overwrote some of the deleted files preventing any kind of recovery.

You could try to download the file directly to your flash drive but any kind of internet access is going to write files to the hard drive. When you realized the files were deleted, the hard drive should never have been accessed again. This would have given a better chance of recovery. How long have you been using the laptop since the files were deleted?

When you deleted the account, Windows asks if you would like to save the files. Did you save the files or did you fully delete them?

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 February 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

It used to be that you could go in and use a Hex editor to change the bit, that Windows uses to state that the file is deleted.  You can use Puppy Linux to recover the files.  See http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html  Also see http://www.winhelp.us/data-recovery-cd.html  Also see this, which is the best article, in using Ubuntu to recover files.  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13706/recover-deleted-files-on-an-ntfs-hard-drive-from-a-ubuntu-live-cd/

Edited by Greg62702, 12 February 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#8 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

hi :hello: i prefer to use testdisk and photorec for recovery of files. this is a great guide that can help you with it. photorec can be very effective

PhotoRec can recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory.

PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

So says the author and PhotoRec gets installed alongwith Test Disk. PhotoRec - CGSecurity <------download link

As tried by me, this guide should help others in need of a free recovery software to recover the lost media files

Recovery:

1.Right click on photorec_win.exe and Run as Administrator.

2. First Window:

180549d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Select the drive, Proceed, and press ENTER.

3. Second Window:

180550d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Select partition table type INTEL – Intel/PC partition, ENTER.

4. Third Window:

180551d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Select the partition, File Opt, ENTER.

5. Fourth Window:

180552d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Select the file types to recover by entering X against the type. ( If all are selected by default, press s to deselect and then select the types to recover.) Press b to save the settings.

6. Fifth Window:

180553d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Just gives you the info that your settings have been saved.Press ENTER.

7. Sixth Window:

180554d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Press ENTER to return to the Main Menu.

8. Seventh Window:

180555d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Select Search and Press ENTER to start file recovery.

9. Eighth Window:

180556d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Select the file system type and press ENTER.

10. Ninth Window:

180557d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Select Whole partition and press ENTER.

11. Tenth Window:

180558d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Select destination to save and press C

12. Eleventh Window :

180559d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

If you had pressed ENTER and a Window like this appears , just press C
again and Wait.

13. Twelfth Window:

180560d1379303490t-guide-using-photorec-

Files recovered.

Close the PhotoRec Window or press q repeatedly till it closes.

Edited by acerts04, 11 March 2014 - 08:11 PM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users