Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound playing through both speakers and headphones (plugged into speaker)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi, I recently got headphones for myself. For the first week or so they worked fine, but as of late, when I plug them into my speakers (Klipsch ProMedia 2.1), I can hear sound from both the speaker and the headphone. However, when plugging the headphones into the speaker, the volume level coming out of the speakers lowers (but doesn't mute, so it does recognize the headphones), so the only way I can hear sound from the headphones and NOT from the speakers is if the volume on the speakers is low enough.

The sound driver I have is the Realktek HD Audio Driver (upgraded to the latest to see if that would fix it, but it didn't).

No headphones show up in the "Playback Devices" either.

Is something misconnected or something?

Thanks.

Edited by Tim Brastow, 12 February 2014 - 03:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Thats a problem with the speakers, not the computer.

If you plug the headphones into the speakers the computer would not change the output or realize anything had changed, the speakers would still be what is plugged into the computer, the speakers are what switch when the headphones are plugged in.

#3 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

So is it something internal with the speakers that I can't get to then? As I said, plugging the headphones into the speakers lowers the volume coming out of the speakers, but it doesn't mute it completely as it should.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Head phone sockets normally incorporate a switch to mute the speakers when the 'phones are plugged in. It is almost certain that it is a problem with this switch that is causing the problem.

A trick I have used several times is to spray a short blast of switch cleaner into the headphone socket, and then insert and remove the headphone jack several times quickly. this usually dislodges any dirt or such jamming the switch. If you don't have or can't source switch cleaner, you can use a few drops of iso-propyl alchohol. You should be able to get some from your local chemist / pharmacy.

If this doesn't work and if you are any good with a soldering iron, you could cnsider replacing the socket.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users