Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrading to Windows 7 from Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

I just bought a new Dell 660s with the new Windows 8 OS which was quickly updated to 8.1.  I would like to know what is the simplest and cheapest was to put the Windows 7 OS on this PC, as I don't enjoy using Windows 8 AT ALL !  I am an old timer, I don't have a touch screen, and I'm not a social media afficionado...I just want a desktop that I am familiar with.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I recommend trying "classic start" or "classic Shell" first. It is not usually cheap or simple to downgrade. Either of those 2 programs will make windows 8 look identical to windows xp, vista, or windows 7 whichever you chose in settings.

To get classic start go to http://ninite.com/ under utiliies put a check mark in the classic start box, then click the get installer button, run the download. This will install the software automatically. From the start menu > classic start > options you can change the view to xp, vista, or 7.

This will give you the benefit of using a more modern operating system and make it usable like windows 7.

Edited by zingo156, 12 February 2014 - 01:04 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Wow, that's cool...thaks a lot man...I was getting really frustrated trying to navigate to around that deskftop...as usual, you guys as bleeping computer are the bomb.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

You are welcome. I had the same problem. We have been used to a start menu since windows 95. To take that away without even giving the option to put it back seems insane... Microsoft, what will they think of next?

Edited by zingo156, 12 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users