Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Work computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fragorders

fragorders

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Hello folks,

We recently received a donated computer for veterans to use. It's a Sony all-in-one, runs well. We suspect that there is a virus on it. When ever we try to use IE or Chrome there are certificate warnings for most websites that prevent it from being viewed. For example we tried to download Malware-bytes and it prevents us from downloading it. 

We tired running Combofix, but after booting OS8 into safe mode, we get an error that the program does not support the OS. However, I believe that for some odd reason, it thinks we are running Windows 2000. Anyone have a work around or any suggestions? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

Check your time and date (should be in the lower right corner) make sure that this is correct. When the time is not correct it will cause certificate warnings.

You can change the time and date by clicking the time > then change time and date settings at the bottom.

If the time is incorrect this means the computer has a bad cmos battery, whenever the machine is unplugged the time will reset. If it is left plugged in and power does not go out the time will remain correct after setting it.

Edited by zingo156, 12 February 2014 - 12:39 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 fragorders

fragorders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Check your time and date (should be in the lower right corner) make sure that this is correct. When the time is not correct it will cause certificate warnings.

You can change the time and date by clicking the time > then change time and date settings at the bottom.

If the time is incorrect this means the computer has a bad cmos battery, whenever the machine is unplugged the time will reset. If it is left plugged in and power does not go out the time will remain correct after setting it.

Thanks for the reply! Checked it, it has the right day and time.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

You can try resetting Internet Explorer: in the top right corner click the settings icon or in the menu click tools > then internet options > click the advanced tab (the very right tab) in here there are 2 buttons 1 restore advanced settings, click this first then click the reset button just below, when you click the reset button put a check in the box delete personal settings, then click reset again. Now close internet explorer and re-open it.

If you still have issues I would suspect you have a possible virus. I will let some one from the malware response team help you with those issues.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 fragorders

fragorders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

OK I will try this out right now and get back to you. Thank you again for the help!

#6 fragorders

fragorders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

Looks like that did the trick, thanks!

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

You are welcome, if you intend to use google chrome, you will need to delete the google chrome profile and then uninstall and reinstall.

Edit: I still recommend downloading and running a full scan with malwarebytes before doing anything personal on any used computer that was not wiped.

Edited by zingo156, 12 February 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#8 fragorders

fragorders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

OK, will do.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor