Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search function issues!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KHazelitt

KHazelitt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'm sure there are threads on this already, but I'm in a bind so I don't have time to search!  In the older version of Windows, there was a "Search" button in the Start menu, where the Control Panel, Computer, Documents, etc. is located.  In this new version it is gone.  I realize you can search in Word (I have Word 2013), but it is nowhere NEAR as exhaustive as the old search function was.  I need to be able to search all the documents on the f:drive we use at work for all the documents we do, specifically to find words within the documents.  Right now, the search function only searches to see if that word is in the title of the document; I need it to search the body of the document. 

I've tried a couple of fixes - going to the Control Panel and turning on the search function in "Turn Windows Features On or Off", etc., but nothing works.

HELP!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

If you right click the start button/orb you can click on window explorer and try that search function.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

Roodo should have said this - Welcome to BC !

Which version of Windows are you using ? I know you have posted in the Win 7 section but that is not a guarrantee !  Make and model of computer would be useful as well.

If you are using Win 7, if you click on the 'Start' button there should be a 'Search' box immediately above it into which you can type text. It will then return a list of files which contain that text - I just tried it. If you don't have a 'Search' box it is easy enough to set up.

Right click on a blank space on the taskbar then click on 'Properties' (at the bottom of the little menu that pops-up) and choose 'start menu' and 'Customise'. Scroll down until you come to 'Search' and make sure that at least one of the options is selected, click 'Apply', click 'OK' and you should have a search box.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users