Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 1500 Ram upgrade - won't start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tempsc

tempsc

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hi. I've got an old Vostro1500 which looks like it came out of the ark. Still it's soild and reliable and so worth retaining. I recently thought I would upgrade my ram to 2 x 2gb sticks - replacing the 2 x 512mb sticks which were installed.

All went well until I came to re-start the laptop. It just won't re-start. I have tried swapping the modules and ensuring they are fully inserted - all OK. I have also tried removing one of the 2gb sticks and replacing with one of the old but serviceable 512mb sticks and the laptop starts.

Any clues as to what could be goig on here? is there a fix or will I end up with 1 x 2gb ram 'ornament'?

Tks

Tempsc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

My guess is that the new memory is either defective or not compatible with Your Dell. I did a quick check and You can go to 4Gb. Did You order the proper memory from a vendor like Kingston or Crucial?

Crucial http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Vostro+Notebooks/Vostro+1500-upgrades.html

Kingston http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Default.aspx?DeviceType=3&Mfr=DEL&Line=Vostro&Model=38967&Description=Kingston_System_Specific_Memory_for_DEL_Vostro_Dell_-_Vostro_1500

Try and return the memory You already have.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 tempsc

tempsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

Hello Roger. Thanks for the promopt reply.

The....

512mb sticks have a label on them, as follows;

512mb 2Rx16 PC2-5300S-555-12

and the new

2gb PC2-5300 (66jMhz) DD R2 S0 (or 80) - DIMM

I assume this is compatible as it was purchased from a reputable dealer. Could there be an issue with the laptop itself that would cause this problem?

Thank you again.

Paul

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

HI, I would say that the fact that Crucial, for example, sells a 2 x 2Gb kit that gives a 4Gb total means that the motherboard supports 4Gb of memory.

I still believe that the memory is not compatible. Is this a brick and mortar dealer or a online dealer?

If a local dealer then take the laptop and memory there and ask them to make it work or replace it or refund the money since it does not work.

Just because it is DDR2 5300 does not mean it will work. There is a reason the memory vendors have hundreds of stock numbers for the same size and type of memory. Many times generic memory works, other times it does not work.

I suggest not trying to get this memory working for so long that You can not return it.

When I decided to upgrade this computer from 4Gb to 8Gb I ordered the kit with two matched memory to use despite that this system had a 4Gb memory and a open slot. End result 8Gb and a stable system. and a spare memory, just in case. I am cautious when dealing with memory as memory can cause instability if not totally compatible.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users