Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update does not download any updates

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP 1

ASUS laptop K52F

Windows update does not download anything. There are 20 important updates. I tried choosing just one of them, the screen displays 'Downloading updates...', but nothing is downloaded. I tried rebooting but this did not work. What could possibly be wrong? I have scanned my laptop with Avast, Malwarebytes, etc & nothing was found. I have had this type of problem before and rebooting solved the problem. Not this time. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

Thank you for such a quick response. I just ran MiniToolBox -- I did not know if you wanted me to paste the contents of Result.txt into my reply or make it an attachment. I choose the later & have attached the file. If you want it included in the reply rather than as an attachment, let me know.

Thank you!!!!

#4 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

One more bit of information...   I discovered that Windows Update IS downloading updates but the download speed is very slow -- about 20kbps. I tested my download speed against other sites, for example updating Malwarebytes database and that download speed was 760 kbps (as measured using NetWork 'Speed Meter' utility).

So perhaps the problem is on Microsoft's end?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

Can you go to www.speedtest.net and perform a couple of speed tests and post the results. Also what are you paying for as far as bandwidth is concerned?

#6 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

Can you go to www.speedtest.net and perform a couple of speed tests and post the results. Also what are you paying for as far as bandwidth is concerned?

Results:  Ping = 102 ms, Download speed = 0.65 Mbps, Upload speed = 0.12 Mbps

I user Frontier "Internet Lite" with a nominal download speed of 0.75 Mbps

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

Your internet could be approaching the point where it is not adequate enough. 20 updates from Microsoft can exceed an easy 200 megabytes, and that will take some time on your connection. Can you run some tests to Redmond Washington?

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

With you having less then 1 mbps, which is no more then dial up speeds.  You are really not going to accomplish much.  You need at least a 6mbps connection, if you are going to be doing anything on the Internet these days.

Your internet could be approaching the point where it is not adequate enough. 20 updates from Microsoft can exceed an easy 200 megabytes, and that will take some time on your connection. Can you run some tests to Redmond Washington?

I doubt they are not going to get anything better, since they are pretty much on a glorified dial-up dsl connection.

#9 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

I disagree for the following reasons:

(1) I just downloaded a YouTube video of 2.2MB in 45 seconds. So If I have to download 150MB of updates that would take approximately   150 MB * 45 / 2.2 = 3,608 seconds = 51 minutes  Add a few more minutes for overhead. No big deal.

And when I do the updates I usually do them in pieces, not all at once.

(2) I have been using this speed for the last 4 years and the updates have worked well. Just last month I downloaded over 100MB of updates in about 35 minutes. No big deal.

(3) 6 Mbps is needed for streaming video, but I don't stream video.

(4) I tried downloading large files from other sites and my download speed at those sites is consistently at least 700kbps. Not blindingly fast, but good enough for me.

I think that saying I need a faster connection is a cop out. Maybe I am wrong, but that is how I see it.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

I'm sure Greg already knows this but here's a link to Frontier's internet tiers. I'm no expert but even I know that most ISP Lite plans are not adequate for the average user.

http://www.frontierscommunications.com/internet

#11 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

GoshenBleeping, Youtube uses a variable Bit rate, so your math is all wrong.  At your speed, you are not going to be able to do much.  You need to move to the next package if available, or go with Satellite Broadband, if you want faster speeds.

I'm sure Greg already knows this but here's a link to Frontier's internet tiers. I'm no expert but even I know that most ISP Lite plans are not adequate for the average user.

http://www.frontierscommunications.com/internet

We have Frontier in one of the towns four miles south of us.  Everyone that cannot get Comcast for Internet, hates Frontier with a passion, due to how limited they are in offerings for their area, for speed packages.

#12 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

I must respectively disagree. First, I have been very happy with Frontier. I have Internet lite which meets my needs. And their technical support has been very good. I know others in my town (Morgantown, WV) who are also happy with Frontier. (By the way, I had contacted Frontier and had them test my line to determine the max speed I could get -- 3mbps.)

"I'm no expert but even I know that most ISP Lite plans are not adequate for the average user."

"At your speed, you are not going to be able to do much."

My response to these comments is that it depends on what you want to do. My wife and I get along quite well with our current speed of approx. 750kbps. We are able to use the web, write code, contribute to blogs, download videos, read research papers, etc. without any problems. Yes, if we wanted to stream video we would need much faster speeds. But at this time our current speed is fine for our needs.

As to the problem with Microsoft Windows Update -- I downloaded from Microsoft a program that "fixes" Windows Update. When I ran this program, it found two problems (although it did not specify the details  :-(   ) that it fixed. From then on, I was able to complete all of the updates. I did 17 updates of approximately 140 MB in about 50 minutes. For some folks, this would be quite slow. But I was fine with this speed.

In summary, we must be careful about deciding what the "average user" needs without first determining what those needs might be. Not everyone needs 6mbps. I pay $15 per month for Internet lite. Why should I pay hundreds of dollars more each year for a service that I do not need?

Take care folks......

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

If Microsoft updates isn't working it could be due to the time on your computer is not set correctly. Check the Date/Time/Year is correct. Try running this fix...http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users