Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Recovery for Custom build pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silc

silc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

I builded the PC from scratch and installed the drives (like Os, Graphic cards drive and motherboard) in the system - everything working fine. My question is do i need make a backup (like system recovery)? Is it necessary ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

You may want to back up a listing of the drivers somewhere, or where to get them at least.

But as long as you have the OS Disc and the driver for the network card somewhere local (motherboard CD/USB Backup) you don't really NEED to.

That being said, it may be advisable to do so in order to save settings, and certain files.

I personally don't, just because all of my stuff is either saved on external drives/secondary drives, or is easily replaceable/easily re-set-upable

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:47 AM

With Windows 8, you can create a recovery drive (Details here) and access certain troubleshooting tools if something goes wrong with your PC.  Windows 8 also backs up your settings, favorites, and app list, among other things, so recovering from a problem is a little easier.  You can set your documents and pictures to be automatically backed up to SkyDrive.  It will not backup data, such as movies, music, and game saves, for that you need a complete backup solution that will backup everything, such a Crashplan

With Windows 7, you can create a system repair disc or use the installation media to access recovery tools.  Unlike Windows 8, Windows 7 does not automatically backup your settings, favorites, or app list.  You will still need to use a complete backup solution if you want to save everything.

3939.png

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

Necessary is a matter of opinion.  Any recovery solution will only bring you back to where you are now.  Only you can say how useful that will be in six months or a year.  If you don't normally reload your machine very often I'd say that it probably worth the effort.  Personally I don't bother since I don't normally have issues where a restore would be of value and I don't have a problem manually reloading the machine if necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users