Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

667/800 ram

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 davidphillips

davidphillips

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

can someone tell me what sort of ram this is,(DDR2 4GB Desktop RAM DDR667/800), how can it be both. this taken from an auction site. Logic tells me this is not right, maybe someone can enlighten me please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

My logic agrees with you.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:51 AM

RAM of that speed will be DDR2.  Desktop DDR2 modules have a 240pin connection.  Original DDR modules have a 184pin connection.  The 'key' is also in a slightly different position, preventing you from inserting a DDR2 module into a DDR motherboard, or vice versa.  Have a look here for some side by side comparisons - http://www.auscomtech.com.au/Products/ddr%20v%20ddr2.htm

DDR stands for double data rate (transfers data on both the rise and fall of the clock signal), so a speed of DDR 800 is just telling you that it's 400mhz RAM that has an effective data rate of 800mhz.  While DDR, DDR2, DDR3 etc. are different standards.

I don't like the fact they are selling it as DDR667/800.  It's one or the other surely?  Perhaps they mean it's 800mhz memory that can be used at 667mhz.  I prefer getting from a known brand like Corsair, Kingston or Crucial.  It's very slightly more expensive but bad RAM can cause big problems.  And they aren't always immediately obvious.

Edited by jonuk76, 12 February 2014 - 02:53 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users