Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really annoying computer problem...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HelpMePlzAndTy

HelpMePlzAndTy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

Hello, I am the new owner of a hp pavillion entertainment pc that a family member passed onto me. There is this really annoying problem that whenever I close my laptop there is a great chance that it won't come back from sleep mode and the power button just blinks.

I've done my best to search for related topics on the internet but none have really helped to solve this problem...

Is there something I can do to forever rid this problem of this blinking light that forces me to unplug the laptop (if charging) and pop the battery out to actually get it to work again? I have a habbit of doing some work and playing games and I am worried that i might lose my progress because of this annoying problem that has plagued me. And no, never closing my laptop wont solve it.

If anything, the computer likes to overheat, which is why I bought a fan for it. Not sure if the problems are related but... I just really need help on getting rid of this issue...

Thanks for reading and attempting to help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scollins

scollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:35 AM

Try disabling sleep mode for the lid being closed - goto control panel/power options/choose what closing the lid does..'do nothing' is the preferred option unless you have reason to sleep/hibernate the device.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

You might also try selecting Hibernate instead of sleep.

Another thing to try would be to update the BIOS.

#4 HelpMePlzAndTy

HelpMePlzAndTy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

I'll give a test on the first solution to see if it helps. Thanks for trying to help ^^

I'll give results tomorrow, hopefully. And if that doesn't work. I can try to see how to update the bios...though I don't know how to...

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

The HP's have had an issue with Sleep & Hibernate, since XP Service Pack 3 came out.  All you can do when you are finished doing something, is just do a shut down.  Hibernate does not play well with the majority of systems out there, so it is suggested to just disable.  Sleep only works on certain computers, so it is again a take at your own risk.

As for the temps.  There are some HP's, just like Dell's, that have a nasty habit of blowing solder joints, when they start getting too hot.  There was a recall on certain HP laptops a couple of years ago, due to bad solder jobs on the motherboards, which were causing the power plug to overheat and melt the male plug from the cord.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users