Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD ndis.sys Win 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LDMAX

LDMAX

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Dear all,

I am in the process of cleaning up a friend's laptop which was heavily infected with a variety of malware.

After installing and running Windows Defender, Windows Security Essentials, Spybot S&D and Antimalwarebytes the computer started freezing up.  Eventually Windows Defender reported that its service had stopped and on trying to restart it, I encountered the BSOD.

On the next reboot, I encountered the BSOD which flags ndis.sys as the culprit.

I can access windows in safe mode (without networking) and have completed the cleanup with the above tools.  However as ndis.sys is the network discovery interface, I am unable to connect the machine to the internet in order to update the driver.

I also would like to confirm it is not a virus, although currently the above tools all report the machine as being clean.  I find it is strange that the BSOD only occurred after installing and running the anti-virus programs, so I was wondering if there might be a conflict with something nasty embedded a little deeper.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:35 AM

running

sfc /scannow

from the elevated command prompt may help you. (with the immediate problem of not being able to network the machine)

Please check the system for stability and browser redirection afterwards. Malware can be quite persistent.

Edited by TsVk!, 12 February 2014 - 02:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users