Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MacKeeper uninstall help?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blender

Blender

I will eat your Malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

Hi :)

Newbie to Mac here... VERY newbie lol..
Helping someone with a slow Mac issue...

Observing Activity Monitor I can see MacKeeper Helper sucking up TONS of CPU steady. Even when idle. Anywhere from 30% to over 70%.

One cannot have a browser window open & say Word at the same time. It will take forever to open another app.

Research seems to indicate it may not be one of the best apps out there & it seems everyone is trying to kill it.

I also understand it can be a real bear to remove.

Can someone point me to some step-by-step instructions on getting rid of this thing?

And some alternatives (preferably free) that do basically the same things MacKeeper is supposed to do without thrashing the hdd?

It is a MacBook Pro

Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Not sure what else you need as far as specs, etc ...

I am not afraid to use "terminal" and not afraid to blow it away & re-do from scratch if that is what it takes. 

Would rather not blow it away though. :)

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

TIA!

I'll have an order of massive trojan attack please with a side order of rootkit and virus dip.
Pre-course order of fresh spyware salad please with a side order of polymorphic dressing.
And to drink...a nice tall glass of adware!

For dessert; can I have a bowl of the freshest worms you have please?.

Never Give Up!

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

You might see if this thread on the Apple Support site helps:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22131372#22131372

What specific features of MacKeeper do you want to have?

#3 Blender

Blender

I will eat your Malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,363 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Not quite sure... not really sure how to tell lol..

It appears to have the junk cleaner & the AV. Not sure what else. Seems some of the features (such as anti-theft & encryption) are not set up yet.

How can I tell? I don't have it online at the moment - which may be making it more difficult to tell.

Did find this set of instructions though. (will look at yours as well)

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

The more I look at it though & read about it - the more it looks scammish.

I'll have an order of massive trojan attack please with a side order of rootkit and virus dip.
Pre-course order of fresh spyware salad please with a side order of polymorphic dressing.

Never Give Up!

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware Posted Image

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

If you need anti-virus for a Mac, then Avast does offer a free version of their AV software for Macs. I believe some of the other major AV companies offer free versions. Personally, I use the paid version of VirusBarrier by Intego for my AV software on my Macs.

For encryption, the Mac OS comes with full disk encryption and ways to encrypt specific files…details vary by which version of the Mac OS you are using. There is also TrueCrypt if you want an third party option.

For anti-theft, if you can upgrade to at least Lion (aka 10.7.5), then you can use iCloud for lost/stolen Macs. A free "open source" alternative is Prey.

For things like "junk" cleaning, it will depend on what kind of "junk" you want to clean. In general, Macs don't need much in the way of "junk" cleaning stuff. You could look at Onyx as a general Mac "clean up" utility.

#5 Blender

Blender

I will eat your Malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,363 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:02 AM

It looks like this app has been on this machine since March 2011!!

Looking at the logs ... holy cow it deletes an awful pile of 'stuff'. seems like it keeps clearing all sorts of caches (sort of like prefetch in Windows), all sorts of logs, strips data from binaries and more...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4198041?start=30&tstart=0

Am I onto one of these bash-the-app-to-scare-everyone posts there? LOL!

If ^^ is accurate - almost looks like a blow out the OS & re-install.

Never Give Up!

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

It should be a definite way to get rid of it.

#7 Blender

Blender

I will eat your Malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,363 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Ever nice having over 1GB free RAM back with MK gone :)

Removal went fine & things seem to be working awesome! 

Never Give Up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users