Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 startup problems, please help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 steven_h888

steven_h888

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Hi there. I've been having some really frustrating problems with my laptop in the past few hours.

Out of nowhere (laptop was working fine last night), one of these things happens when I fire up my laptop:

1. Takes forever to load and start-up, warranting a restart
2. Starts up but shows an empty desktop. Taskbar is there but unresponsive. Cursor is there and moves but can't click on anything.
3. Starts up and shows desktop icons, but taskbar is still unresponsive. Clicking an icon causes the cursor to enter loading state but nothing really loads. Ctrl+alt+delete returns a logon and security error, and usually leaves me with a black screen with only the cursor visible.
4. Loads but gives a black screen with mouse cursor.

I'm using an Acer laptop. Core i5, 2g ram. It does not seem to be a heat problem as when I touch the base of the computer the heat seems normal.

What could be wrong? :/ I also have not installed anything new. Last installation was AVG a month ago

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 steven_h888

steven_h888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

I ran a system restore and the problem seems to have been fixed... But I'm fearful that it might reappear at some crucial juncture like when i have a report due or something.

#3 steven_h888

steven_h888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

Yup. Still prone to freezing after a short while, it seems

#4 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:26 AM

Have you tried running check disk also have you checked for any malware.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Freezing is often an indicator of system overheating.  Have you checked any teimperatures for the CPU and hard drive?

You can use any number of apps to do this, including Speed Fan, Speccy, HWMonitor, etc.

Louis

#6 steven_h888

steven_h888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

I am running a disk check now. Hope it finds what's wrong. I don't think malware is the issue, as I'd run a scan just a day before. But I'll check again to be sure.

Overheating might be it but then when I do a simple touch test the temp seems a-okay. Could be wrong though, will try those apps.

Thank you for the replies!

#7 steven_h888

steven_h888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Ran the disk check; it did not find any anomalies but I guess it ended up fixing what was wrong anyway. Back to normal now. Thanks a bunch.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

Often...running the chkdsk /r command will clear up some problems caused by files on the system.  Keep an eye on it and post back to this topic if problems develop :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users