Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is SpeedyPC Pro safe?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Out of curiosity I ran a speed test (at www.speedtest.net) to get a sense of how well we are being served by our Hughes.net subscription.  We are supposed to be getting 10 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload.  Measured 0.11-0.38 Mbps download, 0.14-0.18 Mbps upload, ping time 1043-1050 msec.  Ouch!

Also out of curiosity (kiled the cat?) downloaded and ran SpeedyPC Pro, which found more than 600 "problems" and offered to fix them all.  Not having any idea what those "problems" might be, of course I declined to "fix" them.

This is a practically new Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with as yet few software additions or changes.  I removed the trial-version McAfee LiveSafe and installed Avast! Internet Security.  I have installed Google Chrome, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, IrfanView, and the trial version of Microsoft Office 365 and that's all, except for SpeedyPC Pro.

So where would the 600-odd "problems" be coming from?  and what might they be?  I am not inclined to "fix" things I don't know anything about.   Is SpeedyPC Pro some kind of scareware, or what?

Thanks for enlightenment!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Hi,

Treat sites overly hyping Registry Cleaners and System Optimizers as Snake-Oil. Those are more likely to cause issues while fixing nothing.

SpeedyPC reputation at WOT (Web Of Trust)
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.speedypc.com

edit: the 600 odd problems are only related to you not handing over your hard earned cash to shysters.

Edited by TsVk!, 11 February 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

And that program most likely was bundled with adware to boot. Use these programs to check for and remove adware.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

oooh, I forgot that. They love to bundle Conduit with SpeedyPC, and MySearch and others....

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

In addition to whats already been said. Here is the official stance of Bleeping Computer related to registry cleaners and optimizers.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

So where would the 600-odd "problems" be coming from?  and what might they be?  I am not inclined to "fix" things I don't know anything about.   Is SpeedyPC Pro some kind of scareware, or what?

These types of programs and the claims they make are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results the program detects as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Speedy PC Pro has received numerous complaints - see Scambook: Speedy PC Pro Summary.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

...Windows continually references the registry in the background and it is not designed to be accessed or edited. Some products such as registry cleaning utilities suggest that the registry needs regular maintenance or cleaning. However, serious issues can occur when you modify the registry incorrectly using these types of utilities. These issues might require users to reinstall the operating system due to instability. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved without a reinstallation of the Operating System as the extent of the changes made by registry cleaning utilities varies from application to application...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners...

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

In a word, no. :)

#8 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 639 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Well, no surprises, that's pretty much what I thought.  That "speed test" site pushes all kinds of stuff I didn't like the look of.

This computer is so new I hadn't yet installed WOT, which is otherwise part of my "standard equipment".  I've also regularly used WinPatrol, SpywareBlaster, and the MVPS "hosts" file.  Not sure which of those are still applicable to Windows 8?

Already have MBAM installed, will do a full scan to see if I picked up any malware.  Can also do a full scan with Avast!, and I've used the ESET online scan before.

AdwCleaner and JRT are also familiar territory.

I do know about not using registry cleaners.  I have, in the now fairly distant past, on very rare occasions had to manually edit the registry to fix specific problems.  Only with guidance .... I do know the pitfalls.

I'll report back if I find anything.

Thanks,

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

I do know about not using registry cleaners. I have, in the now fairly distant past, on very rare occasions had to manually edit the registry to fix specific problems. Only with guidance .... I do know the pitfalls.

And that is the only way it should be done unless you have a thorough understanding of the registry and then too...only for specific issues.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

You may have a problem with completely uninstalling that program. It does provide an uninstaller but many

state online that it does not do a complete and satisfactory job. You may need to use another uninstaller such

as Revo. It is also possible that the programs I listed will even find and remove it.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 639 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

MBAM full scan didn't find anything.  I uninstalled SpeedyPC Pro from the Control Panel - how do I find out if there are any bits left?

I can do some more scanning ... is it possible that because I used SpeedyPC Pro only to run a scan, but took no action as a result, that no adware was installed?

I'll try AdwCleaner and JRT, probably ought to have those on hand anyway.  Already have them on my other machines.  Is Revo also something that should be on hand, just in case?

Thanks,

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

AdwCleaner needs to be downloaded each time you use it. JRT has an update feature same as MBAM does.

I'm not sure about Revo. It's not a tool you should need to use on a regular basis.

SpeedyPC Pro may be one of those programs that gets customized to suit the trojan dropper's intent

or depending on where you download it from. It is possible the one you downloaded actually had a decent uninstaller.

Won't hurt to use Revo....wouldn't want to leave its ability to call home or whatever.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Is Revo also something that should be on hand, just in case?

Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

#14 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hi,

Just to clarify, this adware is not dropped via malware. It's most commonly installed by installers for a program you wanted to download, but extras got installed as well since you most likely missed the step to uncheck it (some installers don't have this option, but is rare and they state that too). The installers can change what programs they offer though.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#15 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 639 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

AdwCleaner found some folders and a couple of registry keys - it made a log, see below.

FWIW I'm usually careful about unchecking unwanted add-ons when downloading - but I've goofed once g,or twice in the past.

# AdwCleaner v3.018 - Report created 12/02/2014 at 13:23:58
# Updated 28/01/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 8  (64 bits)
# Username : Alpaugh water - OFFICE-LAPTOP
# Running from : C:\Users\Alpaugh water\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\SpeedyPC Software
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Roaming\DriverCure
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Roaming\SpeedyPC Software

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

JRT didn't find anything.

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho.1
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\SpeedyPC Software
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\SpeedyPC Software

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.16537

-\\ Google Chrome v32.0.1700.107

[ File : C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\preferences ]

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [1216 octets] - [12/02/2014 13:21:19]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1106 octets] - [12/02/2014 13:23:58]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1166 octets] ##########

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users