Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Guidance Help With Learning HOW To Chooose A Video Card?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

I need help in LEARNING HOW TO CHOOSE A VIDEO CARD?

This would be for a HP dc7800 Small Form Factor PC

Specs on the dc7800 are as follows:(copied from BIOS)

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @2.33GHz
Process Speed: 2333/1333 <-- anyone know what that means?
Memory Size: 1024 MB DDR2/667 MHz/Dual Channel 512MB x2
Harddrive: 80GB

Because of the Power Supply being only 240Watts I am extremely limited in my choices.

I am looking at these 3:(was told these do not draw any extra power, only pullling from the pci slot)

Nvidia 210 GeForce
HD5450
HD6450

all are 1GB cards.. but why are some 4 digit numbers and some only 3? i.e. hd5450 v/s Nvidia 210 GeForce

Since they are all 1gb how do I decide between one or the other as in one is better?

Since this is a SFF pc I would have to go LOW PROFILE, but it seems like I lose one of my inputs when using the low profile bracket.  Whats the deal with that??

Again, those are my choices based on my initial research, by all means PLEASE feel free to suggest a better card!

#1 Goal is to have Dual Monitors running on this b@tch!!

Bonus Goal: be able to play some games(old) and do limited Adobe CS3 Suite stuff!

oNe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

You may have missed this - from the link you supplied :

1 low profile PCI, 2 low profile PCI Express x1, 1 low profile PCI Express x16 (standard), 2 full-height PCI slots (available via optional riser card)

It appears you can have full height PCI devices if you can lay your hands on an 'optional riser card' - whatever that may be.

I am not in a position to offer an opinion on the graphics cards you list, it is not an area I have much expertise in, but you express a desire to run Adobe CS3. I believe that one area on this computer that would definitely benefit from an upgrade is your RAM. You appear to have only 1 Gb, which is barely enough to run Vista. I would be inclined to up this to 4 Gb - which is the maximum you can use if you have a 32 bit OS - and this alone should markedly improve the performance of your computer.

The other area where you could reasonably cheaply improve things is in the hard drive. If you only have the specified 80Gb HDD, you will find yourself running out of room fairly rapidly if you start playing with images - they produce large files. I would be tempted to put in a second hard drive if there is room for one, whatever size you want, but DON'T take out the basic drive or you will need to re-install your operating system.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

Unfortunately these PC's have been discontinued from like 5yrs ago, so the Riser is not available or at least I have not been able to track one down.. 

Also I should have mentioned, I am running 1gb on XP SP3 but will be going to Win 7 64bit and doing 4GB RAM. 

1 low profile PCI, 2 low profile PCI Express x1, 1 low profile PCI Express x16 (standard), 

So lets say I buy the HD5450 in which slot above would it go in?

Any ideas?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:22 AM

Nearly all modern graphics cards (including the three you mention) use the PCI Express 16x slot.  The PCI Express 1x and PCI slots are best suited to lower bandwidth cards like network cards, TV tuners, sound cards etc. etc.

Your main problem is power as HP don't exactly provide much in the way of headroom.  They are all fairly low wattage (less than 20 watts) which is about as low as you are going to get.  Performance wise, the HD6450 is ahead of the HD5450 which is ahead of the Geforce 210.  Any of these are in no way performance cards but old games should be usable.  Overclocked variants and variants with high speed GDDR5 memory (exist but are rare) will draw more power, so are probably best avoided.  Passive cards will be lower power than ones with fans, and have the advantage of being silent.

Link to in depth review of HD5450 (with Geforce 210 as a comparison) and HD6450.

Edited by jonuk76, 12 February 2014 - 03:32 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

I knew - if we all had patience - that someone with more knowledge than I have about video cards would chip in !

I know this suggestion is a little off topic, but if your HP complies with the SFF specification in the link you posted - that's where I got Vista from - would you not be better thinking about trying to stretch your budget to a completely new computer ?  You would only need the tower, you have all the other bits and a reasonably good one with Win 7 already installed need not be that expensive. My local component supplier, who also builds computers, is currently selling a basic one with this spec for £UK 300

Acer Aspire X3995 SFF (8L) PC Pentium Dual Core (G630) 2.7GHz 4GB 1TB DVD-RW WLAN Windows 7 HP

Might be worth thinking about.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

The problem is, I have 4 of these PC's, 2 dc7700's, and 2 dc7800's.. 

I don't want to invest too much into them as everyone tells me they are very old.. They are all running XP SP3. 

I did however find a STEAL OF DEAL on some RAM, just ordered 8 x1GB sticks for $59.99!!!   So at least 2 of these machines, the dc7800's of course will each get 4gb RAM and Win 7, not sure on 32bit or 64bit.  The dc7700's will then get the 1gb Ram from the dc7800's putting them at 2gb of Ram.

Now for the Graphic Card.. well only looking to buy 1 and thats for one of the dc7800's. 

I am now looking at the HD6450 as my best bet..  

I want this one, Saphire HD6450 but it does not seem to come with a Low Profile bracket..

This one is the alternative PowerCooler HD6450  However I can't let myself buy it knowing it sold for $10 w/rebate less than a month ago, ARGGHHH!!

Yalls thoughts as always is very welcome!

Thank YOu

oNe

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

i think sapphire has a sff 6670, but that was about a year ago, it was a hot commodity. something like that would compliment a core2 quite well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102958

from another post, the r7 240 looks nice and slim while sipping a miserly 30 watts tdp

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121799

Edited by synergy513, 13 February 2014 - 01:16 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users