Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AHCI/IDE problem?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 maxamd

maxamd

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

I just got all of my new gear in the mail (listed below). My SSD has a previous install of Windows 8.1 on it.

I am unable to boot to the CD if I'm in AHCI mode for the SSD (bluray can be in either IDE or AHCI mode for this to happen). But when I get to the beginning of the install where windows asks me which HD I want to install it on, it tells me the HD is unable to accept that installation. It tells me, "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

After doing some research, I find it's because the SSD is in IDE mode and windows wants it to be in AHCI mode. BUT I can't get passed the "spinning" loading icon if the SSD is in IDE mode. The previous installation of windows is in AHCI mode, I double checked by putting the SSD back into my laptop and rightclick on mycomputer, properties, device manager, yes the SATA drive is AHCI.

So then I read that it's possible that the AHCI drivers need to be manually found in the 'hard drive select' screen, from a USB. But I did in fact try to select the AMD AHCI drivers from USB, and it acted like the flash drive was empty. So I'm officially out of ideas.

Rig:
CPU Fx-8350
MOBO Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
RAM 8gb Corsair 1600 MHz (BIOS sees it as 1333 MHz!!)
COOLING Cooler master Evo 212

GFX  GTX 260 OC

Edited by maxamd, 11 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

Is the new motherboard UEFI Compatible, and was the SSD installed on a motherboard with UEFI enabled?

#3 maxamd

maxamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

The new mobo IS UEFI compatible, and the ssd was installed on a laptop. I'll have to check when I get home but my guess is that it is NOT UEFI compatible.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

I am assuming this is WIN 8.1 64 bit. Go to the Asus support site and download the following under the SATA section.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/sata/AMD_RAID_XPVistaWin7-8-81_VER121329_3815403.zip

Unzip. Go to  \Disk\RAID\Win8\x64

You will have three files.

ahcix64s.inf

ahcix64s.cat

ahcix64s.sys

Paste these into the root of your USB flash drive.  Good luck.

#5 maxamd

maxamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

Thank you. I will try this.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

I also found AHCI drivers on AMD's site version 13.4. I will download and see if I can extract the AHCI drivers if the above does not work.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows#

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 February 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#7 maxamd

maxamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Also, when I do this, the drive will be in IDE mode. Can this be changed later? The adding of those AMD-AHCI files while it is in IDE mode will not be a problem?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I think that may be a problem. I read somewhere that if you change to AHCI after installing in IDE mode there may be a blue screen but I am not positive. Can you put it in AHCI mode and see if the hard drive is recognized using the drivers on the USB flash drive?

Edit: I read your first post that you cannot boot the CD in AHCI mode.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 February 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I would check in your BIOS to see if Secure Boot is enabled. You may just have to completely reformat the disk if you are unable to see it due to secure boot.

#10 maxamd

maxamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

So you think just having the drivers at the root of the USB flash drive will allow windows to find them? Maybe a clean wipe would help too. But I don't see why it would be necessary, since everything is being done from the CD-rom.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

I am not sure how Windows 8 installs but I do know there is an option to install additional drivers on an install screen in Windows 7.

Edit: Here is a link showing the driver install.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9573-sata-driver-load-windows-8-setup.html

Edit Edit: I would not bother to cancel as shown in the tutorial. Just let Windows 8 search for the drivers on the USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 February 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#12 maxamd

maxamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

That is the same format as windows 8. I guess I will try installing the SATA drivers under IDE mode, and try to change it to AHCI mode using the various RegEdit tweaks I've been reading.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

If that does not work, it may be possible to boot from a USB flash drive to install Windows 8. You could use Imgburn to create an iso of the Windows DVD and then use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. It has an option to boot from UEFI.

#14 maxamd

maxamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

Actually I already tried to boot into the usb drive. After formatting it correctly and some DOS commands from the internet, of course. It stuck on the spinner loading screen as well.

#15 maxamd

maxamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Is the new motherboard UEFI Compatible, and was the SSD installed on a motherboard with UEFI enabled?

Do you know if the UEFI mode should be Enabled: Windows UEFI   or Enabled: Other OS    ? Tried them both i believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users