Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When i click shutdown my computer restart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Olive1465

Olive1465

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hey im having a problem with a computer. When i click shutdown my computer restarts. Its a laptop and it acts like its going to shut off and all light turn off on it for a couple seconds and then it starts booting up. Thanks in advance! Love this forum!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Check in your bios for wake on lan and disable that: http://www.howtogeek.com/70374/how-to-geek-explains-what-is-wake-on-lan-and-how-do-i-enable-it/

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Olive1465

Olive1465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the fast reply, I will check that when i get home and let you know if that works.

Thanks again

#4 Olive1465

Olive1465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

In the bios their isnt a setting for WOL. Do you know of anything eles that would cause this? Also i did remove the hard drive and booted with a live usb that had ubuntu on it and i clicked shutdown and it behavied the same as windows.

Setting In device manger

Lan

http://tinypic.com/r/sb7g37/8

Wifi

http://tinypic.com/r/a47rxv/8

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

You may have a problem with the power button being stuck... Or there is something set to wake in bios, if it does it without the hard drive connected it is a hardware level/bios causing the issue. Since it happened from the live bootable linux, start going through settings in the bios, if there is no wake on (device such as usb, lan etc) then it could be something else hardware related.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users