Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup in Windows 2008 R2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mikemhn

mikemhn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

Just a quick question.  I have a business running Windows 2008 R2 and Cash Register Express.  If I setup automatic backups to Full Server Backups to an external drive, will that protect my application data?  I am trying to ensure that everything is saved.  What happens if I restore the server.  Will it boot up to where it is when I backed up including installed applications and all the information saved?

The reason I ask is because I read this note in documentation.

Note: You may also notice a choice called Applications. Depending what applications you have installed on your server, some may have registered with Windows Server Backup. If they have, you have the ability to recover those applications as well.

Does Cash Register Express need to be registered with Windows Server Backup?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie with this stuff, but just wish to make sure that I won't have any issues in a situation where the server goes down / gets stolen, etc.

Thank you so much!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stillgrey

stillgrey

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Server 2008R2 backup is *great*.  (As long as your disk is less than 2tb).  It does a full image backup whenever you tell it.  Once a day, every 30 minutes, whatever you set it to.  You can do file or folder restores as well a BMR (Bare Metal Restore)  In a restore you are presented with a calendar, you pick the latest backup or an earlier one and hit next,

Applications refers to Exchange and SQL.  As in you can simply restore the Exchange store which is pretty darn slick.

The only worry you have is, is cash register express happy with the vss writers.  As in when it does a backup it uses these writers to "freeze" activity to take a picture for backup.  Any online backup say shadow protect uses these same writers.  By online I don't mean cloud, I mean while the box is running. 

I am guessing that cash register has a built in backup?  Can it be scheduled?  So if it backed up, the WSB (Windows Server Backup) would capture everything properly.  HD dies, restore from WSB, the do a cash register restore.  But it is possible that the WSB would capture everything.  MS just can't promise anything for 3rd party databases.

In any case, no matter what I type, you need to do a backup and restore yourself to see how it works.  If you don't have a raid it is very easy to simply shut down and take out your working drive and put in another drive to test the restore.

Great question.  Please holler back if I am too confusing :)

Grey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users