Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS VH232H (1920x1080@60Hz) Flickers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a monitor that I just purchased yesterday that is flickering. I'm not sure that it is a problem with this monitor since the last two monitors before this one did the same thing.

It filckers on the bottom half of the viewable area only.

This ASUS VH232H (1920x1080@60Hz) monitor was purchased from someone that never used it. They purchased it for a gaming computer that they never made. It was sitting in their basement for the last 3 years never used. Could this be the reason it's flickering now?

However, my previous monitor a used Samsun also had a different issue (diods(?) or certain parts need replacing) did the same flickering on the bottom half of the monitor but not as much as this ASUS.

Also, the used Gateway before that did this flickering extreemly much.

I also have my TV attached to the video card on my PC and the TV has no problems, never flickers.

My original ASUS (purchased new from Newegg in 2008) last used a couple of years ago never did this.

So, what may be happening here and can it be fixed? Is it something with my PC whick is a custom build from 2008. And how would I fix it if it can be fixed. Thanks.

John

Edited by Johnz414, 11 February 2014 - 10:44 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Have you tried the monitor on another computer to see if the problem persists?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Can you confirm if this is connected via VGA, DVI or HDMI connector?

To get a good image on VGA, you often have to sync the monitor to the PC's output.  DVI or HDMI are digital connections that should just work.  To sync the monitor if it's connected by VGA hold down the button marked S/A for 2-4 seconds.

Of course also check that that the PC's output is set to the correct resolution and refresh rate (in most cases, it should do this by default).

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response.

I thought I'd have to do a whole lot of research to find the problem then I thought why not just try the new DVI cord that came with the monitor instead of the one that's been attached to my PC since I made it back in 2008.

And guess what, well I'm sure you're getting it. Walla!!! No more flickering. Dummy me didn't think a cord could fail. I'm sure that is the reason I had flicker with the other monitors that I used that cord on too. Those monitors eventually failed for other reasons though.

So, that makes me one happy camper, I finally got a new monitor that's working great and with a little more viewing space 23" over the cramped 17" I was using.

Heck, I have to twist my head now to see the whole screen! Hopefully I won't get Carpal tunnel neck!

Anyhow, how nice it is that it was that easy! Yeah! I'll just have to save the hard work for next time.

Thanks again guys.

John

John

Albert Einstein.

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

OK,

I spoke to soon, it worked great with the new DVI cable for a while before it started flickering again. I guess I don't get to get a way with a simple solution after all.

Anyhow, here is the Speccy link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c3PNxusVHgOZYHLXbXZyOMM

I hope that it will shed some light on what is happening. It really would be nice to get rid of the flicker.

John

PS Again the TV connected has no flicker just the (new) monitor? Oh, I also do not have a second PC to try it on.

Edited by Johnz414, 12 February 2014 - 01:03 AM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

It would be worth asking a relative, friend, or a neighbor if you could test this monitor on their computer.  There is no way this would harm their computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

As it has a HDMI input, you could also test it with a DVD player or anything else that might have a suitable output.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

It could also be a dirty port, with everyting turned off shoot a tiny bit of contact cleaner on the plug then put it in and out a few times.  I have had to do that on older machines USB ports, they do get a little crusty over time.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users