Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Folders Being Created on Network Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeff-j

jeff-j

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

I have a network share drive and every day I have these random folders that keep appearing in it. They are named the day, month, date, and year but only the months of January and February. The folders are created at random times, and when I check the owner/creator of the folder they are only created by 3 users. I check both of their computers for any malware/spyware and virus, but could find nothing. I don't know if a program is creating the folders. The three users run the same software as everyone else in the company. If there any way to tell how these folders are being created?

All the users are running the same same software, there are about 20 users. All the computers are running windows 7 64bit pro, the server is running Server 2003. I have ran a full scan with malware bytes and it came back clean, ran a scan with Symantec Endpoint Protection and that came back clean as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

All the users are running the same same software, there are about 20 users.

Hello jeff-j

Is this a business / school / city / or other than a private setup ??

Most of our work here is on small Private single systems.

If you are running 20 (or so) users, do you have any of your own computer service people ??

Also can you please list the other sites that you have posted this at .............

#3 jeff-j

jeff-j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

The issue was resolved it turned out someone was playing with some outlook addin setting that the attachments were creating the folders.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

Checking around with the users is generally the first step to take...you never know what they have been up to.

Thanks for letting us know.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users