Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux OS onto a Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

I am now running Ubuntu 13.10 and have been trying to install other Linux Operating Systems onto a flash drive but for some reason i have failed everytime. Could someone point me toward a tutorial which covers this subject please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Have you explored these links?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/make-a-usb-boot-cd-for-crunchbang-linux/
http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/statler_usb_installation
http://usbtips.com/linux-bootable-drive-tutorial/
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Also, is your machine using BIOS or EFI?

See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371503/linux-on-a-stick/

Edited by pane-free, 11 February 2014 - 12:04 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

What other Linux?? Most of the light weight distros of linux ( dont know about Zorin Unbuntu etc but being linux I bet they give you multi install options) you boot from dvd then select install and you are given options on what to install to. Or you just run them from cd( yes they fit on cd).

ao9lih.png

REMEMBER the pc must be able to boot from the option you select. See BIOS for that.

Are you "burning" the iso to usb or just copy pasting?

Have you set the pc to boot from usb?

Without what other linux( name ) Its like telling a car mechanic on the fone " my car wont start" (and no other info) then asking why.

Edited by NickAu1, 12 February 2014 - 02:49 AM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

I just use this (there is a version for Ubuntu).  You can add as many distro's as you like to a flash drive very easily.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Thanks, jonuk76 -- I hadn't heard of YUMI!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#6 defurman

defurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

I just wanted to install a Linux OS on my flash drive using Unetbootin. One area that i'm not sure of is after reformatting the flash drive do you have to mount it or not in order for the install to be successful?

In previous failed attempts, i downloaded the Linux os i wanted and then immediately after the install on to the flash drive i re-booted the machine and entered the BIOS to altered the boot sequence so as to boot from the flash drive.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!

Edited by defurman, 13 February 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#7 _dan

_dan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

I just wanted to install a Linux OS on my flash drive using Unetbootin. One area that i'm not sure of is after reformatting the flash drive do you have to mount it or not in order for the install to be successful?

In previous failed attempts, i downloaded the Linux os i wanted and then immediately after the install on to the flash drive i re-booted the machine and entered the BIOS to altered the boot sequence so as to boot from the flash drive.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!

What error message does it give you? I'm having this problem as well (when I try and boot Tails OS from a thumb drive) and UNetBootin makes it seem like it was successful. 

Someone on here mentioned YUMI, and as I commented on a different thread that can't even recognize my thumb drive even though the PC can. 

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,700 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:55 AM

I just wanted to install a Linux OS on my flash drive.

Easiest way... Burn the Linux to CD/DVD.

Set pc to boot from DVD/CD.

Once pc is booted from CD/DVD, Insert USB stick.

Then install Linux. Most Live distros have a install short cut on the desktop, Follow the prompts till you get to the bit that asks "where to install to".

Select the USB stick sdb1. Look for the sdb thats the USB, sda is the hard drive.

Once done you should be able to boot it on almost any PC ( works with my Puppy Linux, Unbuntu, And Australis Mate)

Edited by NickAu1, 22 March 2014 - 03:57 AM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

We don't have to disconnect our main drives as a precaution before attempting this? I ask because of the danger of messing up the MBR of the current installed OS's & when I install any Linux version to a HDD, I disconnect my SSD that contains Windows 7 Pro for that very reason. I then use Easy BCD 2.2 to add the Linux install to the boot menu afterwards, preserving the original code, look & feel.

Or alternatively, do we just point GRUB to install to the Flash drive, normally the (/) partition? Though I realize that partitioning may not be the same on a Flash drive versus a regular install.

After further reading, it appears as pendrivelixux is a great option, as not only does it create Linux Live Flash drives, but also rescue ones for many antivirus apps (Windows usage). The cool thing about this is that a Persistence space can be reserved for updates/installed software.

It would still be interesting if a straight out install to the Flash device would work w/out disconnecting of drives. I have always done this (due to getting burned years ago), even though the Easy BCD documentation states it's an unneeded step when installing Linux on 2nd physical drive.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,700 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

We don't have to disconnect our main drives as a precaution before attempting this?

No. Just make sure the HDD is not mounted and pay attention to where you install to.

It would still be interesting if a straight out install to the Flash device would work w/out disconnecting of drives.

I have never had an issue.

Or alternatively, do we just point GRUB to install to the Flash drive,

With Unbuntu installing to USB is like installing to HDD there is no need to install grub linux( Unbuntu) takes care of it. Best thing about doing it this way is that you can boot any pc with the USB install.

I install by booting pc from live disc then select the USB ..... BE CAREFUL here to select the correct drive. It should say something like sdb, Look carefully at the size of the drive, If you are installing to a 32 gig usb stick and it says something like sda 100 gig... guess what its the wrong drive.

Linux will report that a 32 gig stick is actually 29 gig.

One area that i'm not sure of is after reformatting the flash drive do you have to mount it or not in order for the install to be successful?

I have only ever installed from live disc. And the installer takes care of everything.

Or

You could buy 1 of these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32GB-Multiboot-USB-Flash-Drive-30-Bootable-Linux-Systems-Windows-PC-Repair-/331149969936?

Edited by NickAu1, 24 March 2014 - 12:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users