Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Sp2 Upgrade Failed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:52 AM

This system is a stock Dell Dimension 4600 C running Windows XP Home Ed. Until tonight it was an SP2 version of Windows XP. Neighbor had a notification Icon from Microsoft Update (little yellow shield) in systray informing her a patch for IE was required to be installed. The information about the patch stated that before the patch would install on the PC, that it would check the integrity of the SP2 installation first, and warned that if there were problems the installation would halt. Well it halted, and a Windows Dialog box popped up, recommending that SP2 be uninstalled, and re-installed. I have a Microsoft Update CD Disc for SP 2, and figured I could go ahead, and uninstall SP2 and then reinstall it from the CD.

The CD unpacked the files it needed to perform the upgrade, and said to reboot the system, so I rebooted.
Windows Home Ed booted normally, but the upgrade failed as Gen tab in System properties says its an SP1 version.

I'm at a loss of what to do here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tim64

Tim64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:05 AM

Go to start. Programs. Accessories. System Tools. System Restore. See if that will fix it for ya. Go back a few days or more. Then try to install sp2 again. You could as well if the connection is fast enough go to microsoft updates and let it check the computer for needed files. I may have a few more tricks up my sleeve if that does not work. So let me know.

Edited by Tim64, 12 May 2006 - 03:21 AM.

#3 C J.

C J.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

Go to start. Programs. Accessories. System Tools. System Restore. See if that will fix it for ya. Go back a few days or more. Then try to install sp2 again. You could as well if the connection is fast enough go to microsoft updates and let it check the computer for needed files. I may have a few more tricks up my sleeve if that does not work. So let me know.

Thanks, but after making a slipstreamed SP2 disc, I wiped the drive and did a reinstallation. Windows was too badly damaged to be salvaged. You wouldn't happen to know someone who has a copy of Black Vipers Safe home registry patch. It seems his site is no longer online, and Majorgeeks.com only had his services config listings for XP Pro.

#4 Tim64

Tim64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

No I am sorry about the black viper thing. This may give you what you are looking for. Has TONS fo fixes and tweaks for the xp registry. Also tunexp 1.5 is a pretty sweet free program for xp. Hope you backed up your computer?? If now I really suggest nortons ghost and dvd. I use nortons ghost 8. Or back it up to another harddrive if you can. Or last but not least Partition your current harddrive and back up your stuff to another partion. Ok for the registry tweak look here For Tune xp take a look Here

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:09 AM

Down towards the bottom of this thread is a .reg file to do this: http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t431406.html

I haven't tried this, nor have I reviewed the article. Persoanlly, I'd prefer going to the WayBack Machine and seeing the latest version of BlackViper's Services Configuration and resetting them manually.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 C J.

C J.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

Down towards the bottom of this thread is a .reg file to do this: http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t431406.html

I haven't tried this, nor have I reviewed the article. Persoanlly, I'd prefer going to the WayBack Machine and seeing the latest version of BlackViper's Services Configuration and resetting them manually.

Thanks for your input. I'll check that out. Lastnight, I did another search of the web and came across a pdf file at some Edu IT guys resource page. He posted a pdf and inside was Black Vipers service lists for Home and Pro SP2 which was just what I was looking for. Now, I have a saved copy of his !Safe_proAllstart.reg. for my own PC. I'm guessing I could still run this on Home ed sp2, but I'd have go back into services.msc to review and then manually tweak any services as needed. From the way the list looked, there aren't many differences between the two OSes.

#7 C J.

C J.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

No I am sorry about the black viper thing. This may give you what you are looking for. Has TONS fo fixes and tweaks for the xp registry. Also tunexp 1.5 is a pretty sweet free program for xp. Hope you backed up your computer?? If now I really suggest nortons ghost and dvd. I use nortons ghost 8. Or back it up to another harddrive if you can. Or last but not least Partition your current harddrive and back up your stuff to another partion. Ok for the registry tweak look here For Tune xp take a look Here

Cool I'll check your links out too. I'm always looking for ways to simpifly tweaking after a re-install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users