Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Windows vista from CD by copying to a flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pfgiv

pfgiv

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I have a computer that was truly infected. Posting here was no help as the virus opened some port that allowed the person to reinfect the computer after all the viruses were removed the first time.

Last night I used DBAN and wiped the old version of XP. I have a windows vista disk with product key that came as an upgrade to an old laptop which I never used. I was hoping to be able to use this disk to install vista on the system I just wiped. I would just use the CD, however the CD drive on the computer now is not opening. When XP was still installed I checked the device manager and it showed the drive was in functioning condition, but I could not get the drive to open, even by using a paper clip in the small hole on hte front.

Is there a way to copy the files to a USB flash drive and boot from the drive to install vista?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

Try this PLEASE NOTE I DID NOT MAKE THIS VID

http://youtu.be/PRaeu8i_DdE

Edited by NickAu1, 10 February 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#3 pfgiv

pfgiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

how do I get the files fom the installation disk onto the flash drive?

also, the computer has no version of windows on it now, so i only get to the boot menu. i think i need the computer to boot fom the flash drive to install.

maybe im missing something but it looks like the video, the preson just installed windows over an existing copy of windows from a file that was on a flash drive. i need the steps befoe this, and installing on a computer without windows

Edited by pfgiv, 10 February 2014 - 11:34 PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

You need another pc to do whats in that video. 

borrow a friends or family members. Are you on a pc now.

If you have acess to a usb dvd/cd drive plug it in and set the pc to boot from that And use the install disc.

i need the steps befoe this, and installing on a computer without windows

Once you make the usb bootable with the iso on it you need to go into bios and set the boot option to usb as first.

Once the pc reboots the install process will begin as if it was a cd/dvd just follow the prompts.

I have a windows vista disk with product key that came as an upgrade to an old laptop which I never used

Dont you need the old os to run an upgrade disc or you run into problens???

Re upgrade. By Grinler

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79852/how-to-perform-a-clean-vista-install-using-a-vista-upgrade-product-key/

Edited by NickAu1, 11 February 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#5 pfgiv

pfgiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Possibly, I have no idea if any of this will even work. The infected computer was built by a fiend a few years ago. The upgrade disk has nothing to do with the computer I am tying to put Vista on. That disk was sent to me eyars ago fo a different laptop, which I never upgaded to vista. I'm not even sure if it would work, even if I just bought a new CD Drive. (i may just buy one just to make this all easier) The disk actually says on it 'for use only as an upgade to a qualifying HP PC'. Does that mean it actually will not wok on this non HP macihne? O is that just a bunch of nonsense designed to get you to not try and sell it as a workable version of an OS to someone else

#6 Lornhane

Lornhane

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Basically you need a flash drive, Make sure it's file system is formatted to FAT32. Then you copy paste the contents of the vista disc to your flash drive,

Once that is done you will need to boot from the USB stick. Most computers on start up will say press F* for boot options. You will have the stick in the computer and try to get into the boot options and choose the USB stick.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Last night I used DBAN and wiped the old version of XP. I have a windows vista disk with product key that came as an upgrade to an old laptop which I never used.

In order to upgrade to Vista you will need to have XP installed along with all three service packs.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users