Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8 computer says there is problem with external drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spyder777

spyder777

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

When I plug the C drive from my old computer into the usb port of my new windows 8 unit it says there is a problem with the drive and recommends scan. When scan is attempted it won't work and it stops at that.

However when I plug this same C drive into my windows vista laptop usb  I am able to access files with no problem. I can copy and paste to the new computer through the home network but I would like to know the reason the C drive will not open with the new computer. Would installing the old drive inside the new computer make recognition posssible as I may want to use it for extra storage.

Thanks,

R Webb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zebra Man

Zebra Man

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

I am not clear if the drive you are referring to is actually the C drive, but in any event.

To check the disk for errors, you can right mouse click it in Computer, and go to properties, then tools, then error checking, click check now, click both boxes, and click ok.  A full disk check and repair will commence, and will exit when done.

There will be an event created in the Application Log for chkdsk, that will have the results in it.

As far as why it is doing this, IDK, other than Windows 8 might be less tolerant than earlier versions for minor problems in the file system.

As for mounting the drive in your new computer and using for extra storage that should not be be a problem, as long as the new computer has the space and type of interface that the drive uses.  You will probably need at least another SATA data cable.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

C:\ is an arbitrary letter assigned to the first boot drive.  It could be any letter if Microsoft decided, or no letter at all.  What is the model & manufacturer of the drive, what is the manufacturer & model of the external enclosure that you are using?  Some enclosures require a powered USB port, due to the USB ports on most computers do not have enough juice to power them.  Did your enclosure come with a power port on it?

The repair scan is due to usually the drive did not unload before it was unplugged.  Download Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit on a CD, and boot it as a Live-CD, and see if it will see the enclosure.  Then use Gpart'd & Disc Info to check the drive for any errors.

You can also try the follow from a Terminal window in the Xubuntu Live CD:

Type the command "fdisk -l" to locate the device name for the drive you want to fix. The device name will look like "/dev/sda."  Type the command "sudo fsck -y /dev/sda" to check the filesystem and repair any errors. Replace "/dev/sda" with the device name for the disk you want to check. The "-y" option says to run the command non-interactively. Without this option, the utility will ask for confirmation before repairing any errors it encounters.

Usually it will be something like sdd, sde, etc.  Use the mount command in the terminal window, to list all devices.  df will also work in a Terminal window.  Also see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1605850

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 spyder777

spyder777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

Yes by c drive I am referring to the boot drive from my 2008 gateway. It appears in my computer on the new i7 HP but goes away after it says there is a problem and a scan cannot be done.

The drive enclosure does have a power supply and since it works with the laptop, at least I can recover files. The drive worked fine in the old computer, but when the computer failed to start one day (it would start and immediatly turn off and repeat this process over and over) I ordered the new unit and removed the hard drive.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will follow up on them when I can.

Robert

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Maybe we are not looking at the same thing.  Are you sure that the drive is actually in My Computer, and it is a Security policy, that is keeping you from accessing it.  Does it show up in Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users