Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BC is 10! A Little History and A Whole Lot of Help

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

BleepingComputer is 10 years old! Ten years and 15 days to be exact. It is a very good number. 

The BleepingComputer.com domain was created on 01/26/2004 by Lawrence Abrams, otherwise known affectionately and respectfully as Grinler.

BleepingComputer, simply put, is a free, web-based community and technical support forum for answering technical, computer and security questions asked by the novice computer user.

And yet, it is so much more.

BleepingComputer is about people. People helping people and people who have formed relationships that span years. Those relationships are more than friends..they're family.

BleepingComputer stats are unbelievable. Oh yeah, we got graphs:

27ko.png

With more than a million visitors each month, there are currently over 627,000 members from 271 different countries across the globe using BleepingComputer. At any given hour of the day or night, there are thousands of people on the site, either as guests or as members who are browsing, downloading, reading tutorials, getting help, and engaging in discussion.

BleepingComputer even has its own store! And its very own BS! *hehe* 

As a tribute to Grinler and the community, please let us know how you came to BleepingComputer. The story as written here is just a brief glimpse, so if you will allow us to start, a few of the staff want to share a little of their personal history on how they came to BC.

Congratulations to Grinler, the staff and the community of BleepingComputer. You have all built something very, very special here.

qeso.gif

Animal

"Sometime around late fall/winter 2004, I was in search of some ideas for a new computer system for my home network. I wasn't sure just how much I wanted a bleeding edge or strong stable workhorse. So I started soliciting ideas on computer help forums. I knew I wasn't the most knowledgeable person, but I knew what sort of assistance I was looking for.

Fast forward about six months and about 10 forums. All of them filled with know it alls and newbie haters. I saw a link at another forum to this place called Bleeping Computer. I said to myself 'what the heck' can't be any worse. I showed up and saw people asking questions about things I could actually answer. A few months later and I get a PM from a former moderator (who knows who they are) thanking me for my participation. I still have that PM.

Not much longer and with the growth of Bleeping Computer, I became the prototype for the BC Advisor role. Something I'm rather proud of. I think this staff position is very valuable for Bleeping Computer. It identifies members whose expertise can be trusted and helps those who may have little-to-no experience easily identify quality, trustworthy help.

I next wrestled with the idea of undertaking malware training or possibly becoming a moderator. I couldn't and wouldn't do both. One or both roles would suffer from dilution of attention. With much reticence and second guessing I made my choice. As has been said more than once.... The rest is...

wait for it..... No really... Wait for it.......

I said wait for it......

Grinler's fault that I am doing what I do now.

I am honored and so privileged to call the staff here my friends, my family and my colleagues. I can't thank the man responsible for this enough. That being creating this wonderful place called Bleeping Computer."

rhkh.jpg

Blade

"So, my story starts like most; I found BC while looking for an answer. While here, I saw the Study Hall program and was interested, so I applied and was accepted. After completing the program I spent some time serving as a member of the MRT before being asked to join the Moderator team. I split my time between both roles for a time, but Animal's right; you can't do both without one suffering. Eventually I made the decision to focus entirely on my role as a Moderator. Eventually I was asked to be a Global Moderator, and then an Admin.

Some of my best friends are here at BC, and I would not trade the five years I spent here for anything. BC is based on a cause I believe in, and if I can help support that cause and mission then I consider myself a success."

fgft.jpg

Boopme

"I came here in September of 2004 with a sick PC. I believe I used a Web portal call "MyWay" while searching ways to fix it and found BC. It was very young as, when I joined, my member number had 2 digits. I forget, maybe it was #87. There weren't all the categories we now have.

Grinler picked up my topic. The way he helped me was kind and easy to follow. That impressed me so much that I never left. I said, if he can help like that, I can. It was nice not to be jerked around if I did not know how to do a process. It was explained, and he was patient. So I used that as the model when I helped.

After some time, I joined the Malware training. It was not too long after I was there that I was asked to be Moderator as they needed one. So I went that way. BC has a great staff there were some that are now gone
as life takes its course. But all were great people to know. I continually learn things here.

Now I've also seen all the new staff and all their different skills and abilities, such as you.

Several years ago, I was asked to be a Global Mod, and I didn't have to think much about accepting, as I just enjoyed being here and helping. I watched as Grin's idea just kept getting better and better.

It's amazing the amount of people helped and the wealth of info here. It was my pleasure to stick around."

xzfx.png

Elise

"I think its a great idea to do this for the 10th anniversary! I ended up at BC because I ended up with an infected PC and had no idea how to deal with it. I googled some of the problems and ended up at BC. I sort of stuck around after that and 1.5 years later decided to join the Malware Removal Training Program because I wanted to learn more and because I had started to like the community. From there, I stuck around some more and ended up as staff member. I've been a staff member for a little over 4 years, and I can only say that BC feels as a sort of online family (in a good way), which I think is about the biggest compliment anyone can make to an online community. :) "

sw8f.png

Myrti

"Personally, I was active on non-English malware removal forums for a while and found that all the information I could get were hand-downs and distilled summaries of info written in the internal on the English boards. So I decided to join the English boards, originally just as a member to cruise on the forums. BC was my first choice, because I'd already heard lots of good things about it. I refrained from applying at the school here at the time because I knew YourHighness, and he was a coach here. I wanted a clean start and no preferential treatment.

I tried joining several other boards first as a helper (and was turned down because I was self taught and didn't go through a school), then as a trainee (and was turned down because I was self taught). 

In the end, I applied here at BC under a different name (_temp_).  :) Once I graduated, I changed my name to associate it with the nicks I've used before (myrtille mostly)."

i1o2.gif

Queen-Evie

"February 2007. One evening I was thinking about how much I like to help others with their computer problems. I searched for computer help forums. I joined 3 of them. Very quickly I discovered Bleeping Computer seemed like the best fit for me.

I will be totally honest and say that in addition to helping others, I did have another motive for joining those 3 forums. I wanted get a message out to as many people as possible. This was my first "real" post here 
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/82759/for-all-the-women-and-the-men-who-love-them/

After that, I thought I would show up every once in a while and find something I could reply to. For a couple of months that is what I did before I finally decided to jump in more often.

As stated on my profile page:

My philosophy of helping others is simple. I "pay it forward". Many people helped me when I was new to computers. Without them I would have been lost. I believe there are no dumb, stupid questions. Not knowing does not make one stupid.

In October 2001 when I was so new to computers I didn't even know how to open up a laptop and turn it on, I encountered many people who offered help and advice. Some of them had an attitude: "you dumb stupid person, that is such a silly stupid question that you should already know the answer to". I vowed NOT to be one of those types of people. Since then, I've encountered others who may have rolled their eyes at something I asked, but did give me the help and advice I needed. I try to keep in mind that everyone was new to computers at one time and had to learn. I realize people have different levels of skill and expertise and don't talk down to them because they "don't know".

All I do is pay it forward. Who would have thought that I would actually be in a position to help guide others? NOT ME. All I wanted at the time I got the laptop was email.

I was shocked when asked to be an Advisor in Dec, 2007. My first thought was, "they are making a big mistake." Took a week to think about it before I accepted. Deep down inside, I was pleased to know that my peers here thought I was doing something good. The rest, as they say, is history."

ojyx.png

Quietman7

"I initially joined BC as a member back in 2005. At that time I was already a member of several other Internet Community site forums to include SWI, TEG, TweaksXP and CastleCops (formerly Computer Cops) with an interest in computer security. I had enrolled in SWI's boot camp to learn about malware removal but during training they encountered major issues with the site and it was shut down for a long period. Since I was already a member of CastleCops I enrolled in their malware removal school, graduated and stayed on as a member of their staff and 1st Responder Malware Removal Team. Later I accepted a position as a Mentor (Coach) where I helped teach new trainees. At some point SWI came back on line and I returned to finished my training there in order to be able to help in the HijackThis Forum. Back then HijackThis was our main diagnostic tool so naturally all the help areas were called HijackThis Forums.

Thus, I graduated from two prominent schools but primarily worked at CastleCops because I was an instructor there. In 2005 I helped establish the HijackThis Forum at TEG and later became a site Admin. In 2008, CastleCops closed down after its founder (Paul Laudanski) took a full-time position as an Internet Safety Investigator with Microsoft. Several of the CastleCop staff members got together and formed SpywareHammer. We also started the SpywareHammer Academy to teach malware removal and I stayed on as a Mentor there.

Needless to say during this time period I was getting burned out working in all these HijackThis Forums and looking at logs all day long. Burnout was common because there never were enough helpers to keep pace with the work load and many of us just pushed ourselves to a breaking point trying to keep up. I needed an escape and that door was BC. I primarily went there to help out in the Security and OS Forums and the staff took note. I was offered and accepted a position as an Advisor in 2006, then shortly thereafter accepted the role of Moderator. My duties allowed me to stay away from the HijackThis Forum and working logs at BC. In 2007 I volunteered to help with reorganization of the BC Study Hall and updating canned speeches. Later Grinler asked me if I was interested in accepting the Study Hall Site Admin position but I graciously declined as BC was still my escape. Instead I accepted a position as a Global Moderator in 2007 and that same year received my first Microsoft MVP award...the rest is history.

Over the years the staff at BC has become more of a family with Grinler being our patriarch. We don't just help forum members...we help each other when times get tough or when dealing with real world issues. Sometimes we even telephone one another to talk about more serious matters just as we would talk to a brother, sister or cousin. We are always there for each other and that is what makes BC the great place it is. It is also part of what makes BC such a family oriented site for its regular members and guests who come to us by the thousands each day asking for assistance with various computer issues. I am proud and honored to be a member of the BC family."

And those words simply sum everything up in exactly the right way.

Happy 10th, BleepingComputer! 

Edited by Stolen, 14 February 2014 - 10:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

Wow! Congratulations to Bleeping Computer on ten fantastic years!

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

I am simply honored and touched to have such awesome and incredible people in my life and helping here at BC. It's been a long 10 years with a lot of "When are you getting off that damn computer!!!" from my wife, but it has all been worthwhile. We, and I mean all of us, really have built an incredible place for people to come for advice and help without feeling like they are second-rate or demeaned for the lack of computer knowledge.

Thank you very much for all the kind words from all my friends and family! I just can't believe you all did this behind my back!!!!

Thanks again and looking forward to another 10 years!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,393 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

Congrats Grinler, Mrs. Grinler and Bleeping Computer.  :thumbup2:

I think it would be a great idea if each member of our BC family took a few minutes and share in this anniversary topic how they too came to Bleeping Computer.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Congratulations Bleeping Computer, and of course Grinler, on 10 years! 

I've been a member since August of 2010; I joined due to a reference by a member of TechGuy.org after I expressed interest in learning more about malware and how to remove it. Since joining, I've been working my way through the great malware removal training program that has been established here, and have met a lot of extremely knowledgeable and great people. At the time of this posting, I have not yet graduated from the training program but hope to soon - I'm very excited to (hopefully) officially become a member of the Malware Response Team. It has been great learning and working with all of you, and I can't wait to be a part of the next ten years here!  :)

Edited by TheShooter93, 10 February 2014 - 09:47 PM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

I am member number 312948, joined March 26, 2009 at 8:37 am, because my son's computer, the XP (which is still chugging along), crashed because of a virus. And poor Budapest lead me through the whole clean-up process. I still have the print out of the whole process! And that is how I know my member number and time I joined, it use to state that info under your picture.

I guess that is how a lot of us join this site, a sick computer. And why do we stay? Well, besides the fact that there is an awful lot to learn here, it is just the people who make it such a pleasure to be here.

A Big Thanks, Grinler, for not only taking the time (and tell your family we are sorry for keeping you in front of that computer) to set up this web page but also to keep it going. A lot of sick computers are healthy now because of you!

#7 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

I remember coming to BC what feels like ages ago, back in its early days. We'd been hearing rumours of the 'new guy Grinler' who had started this site. At the time I was Admin at TomCoyote (now WhatTheTech) and involved at a few other similar sites (most of which now defunct). I popped in, said hello and didn't return until several years later (after an extended offline period). The growth, the community that had formed during those years was tremendous and I started pitching in here and there.

Very proud to say I belong to the BC family. Time and a real life focus on higher education and a career has kept me away for the last 4 years, but I still pop in on occasion and wave to my friends. :hello:   :flowers:

Congrats you guys! Simply the best. Here's to many many more. :gathering:

I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

After experiencing various problems with my computer I visited different highly-regarded sites in search for a resolution. It was interesting to note that a number of these sites recommended a possible solution and a link to BleepingComputer.

I was intrigued and did indeed visit BC where my issues were quickly resolved through thorough easy to understand instructions. Thanks again to Broni who had the patience of Job.

Needless to say I was hooked and joined in 2012.

It is with the greatest of pleasure that I now take this opportunity to thank all the Staff here at BC for a job well done. Your zeal and devotion has proved that this site has a reputation beyond reproach.

And to you Grinler a very sincere "Thank You" for conceiving and delivering this site for those of us who continue to learn.

Finally the utmost appreciation to the "Grinler Family" for allowing him the time to make it the success it is.

Happy Birthday :clapping:

Edited by sikntired, 11 February 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#9 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Happy Birthday, BC!

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#10 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 36,788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

I first came to BleepingComputer in need. It was the professionalism, friendliness, and unbelievable generosity that transformed me from a taker to a giver. Now that I "live" here I see that comes straight from the top. Thanks Grinler!

Edited by Oh My, 14 February 2014 - 12:47 PM.

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

I first came to bleeping computer like allot of people in search of help removing a virus. I was so impressed with the wealth of information I found I felt the need to give back. I started posting in the Hardware forums, and as my career and knowelge base expanded I moved on to the networking and operating system forums. I have met a great many new friends and collegues here on the forums. I have learned an imense amount of information that has helped my career and my ability to help others with their computer problems. I look forward to many more years of learning and contributing here at Bleeping Computer!!

Happy Anniversary!!

Edited by Sneakycyber, 14 February 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

I first came to Bleeping computers in search of answers for random virus's. I can honestly say I found an answer every time along with many useful tools! There are so many virus's it is hard to keep up with them all especially in the retail world. After all of the help I have received I decided it would be a good idea to give back to the community. I am happy to help. Congratulations on 10 years!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#13 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

I was trained by staff at ComputerCops. During training I would come here while doing my research and found the information most useful. That was back in 05. I joined up here in December that year and have been a casual poster ever since. This site is top shelf in my book. Thanks Grinler for all the hard work you have done here and thank you (all the rest of you folks) for all your tremendous and outstanding achievements here ever since. Keep it up!

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#14 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

I can't think of a more useful and helpful site, found it in 2007, just looking for information, rather than solutions to problems.

Well done and thanks to all at BC for providing a truly excellent learning experience.     . :thumbsup2:

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Congratulations!!!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users