Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking alienware. Need assistance.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Ok so i have an alienware that can almost run bf4 on max settings. I want to overclock my computer so that  a) the processor can run a bit faster, and handle more intense games.. and B) overclock my graphics card. I am using intel extreme tuning utility. And wondering what should i touch or not touch. I am not sure how to use it, But just want to make the CPU and video card preform faster and better. Somtimes when i change some settings. and click apply the computer reboots. In no way am i worried about burning out my CPU or video card. This alienware has a full care 1 year warranty, That covers absolutly any type of damage. So a quick guide on what settings i should and shouldnt touch would be great. I dont really care about stress tests or what not. Just want to increase my cpu to allow it to preform better and faster and the same with my video card. Cpu is a 17 4700 @2.40

card is 770 3GIG gddr5 thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

bump

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

Turbo boost is a setting in the bios. It will dynamically overclock your cpu on demand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9nfpaiUCy0

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Conventional overclocking isn't possible on a OEM computer.  The manufacturers lock the portion of the BIOS to keep this from being an option.  There is software which can be used to get around this, but it can be dangerous to the computer's health.

Turbo Boost or Intel Dynamic Acceleration does this automatically.  This is done by demand on the CPU.  When the demand occurs the ACPI in the BIOS will enter one of the cores into a C3 sleep state.  This allows the remaining cores to increase the clock speed.

The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

"For Core i7-2920XM.

The normal operating frequency is 2.5  GHz. Turbo is indicated as: 7/7/9/10 in which the first number is the multiple of 100  MHz supported when four cores are active, the second number is the multiple for three cores, the third number is for two cores, and the fourth number is for one active core.
Subject to limits on temperature, current and power consumption, the processor can increase its clock speed (from a base frequency of 2.5  GHz)in steps of 100  MHz to:

# of cores active # of Turbo Steps Max frequency Calculation
4                         7                        3.20  GHz         2500 + (7 × 100)   = 2500 + 700 = 3200
2                         9                        3.40  GHz         2500 + (9 × 100)   = 2500 + 900 = 3400
1                       10                        3.50  GHz         2500 + (10 × 100) = 2500 + 1000 = 3500"

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

The turbo set will probably only go max 3.5Ghz on a i7-4700MQ if that is what you have. A i7-4900MQ will go 4Ghz Turbo. As DC3 stated it all depends on what the cpu is locked at and how high the multiplier can go. It isn't always about cpu speeds either, it's about video cards as well, and fast ram. If the laptop's video card can be swapped out for a new better performing one. That would be the best move. Plus an upgrade to a I7-4900MQ Processor. That's the best you can get.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

Before upgrading the CPU you should make sure that the suggested I7-4900MQ is compatible with your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

i have an option to overclock in the bios like explaine above its called turbo boost or something but their are alot of settings that i am not sure of..

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

You should go on the Dell/Alienware site to see what their policy is, they may allow some over clocking.

Just checked the site it appears as if they may allow it!

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=bsd&c=us&l=en&cs=04&k=over%20clocking&cat=sup

Edited by OldPhil, 12 February 2014 - 12:05 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

also when overclocking what is the difference between static and adaptive?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

If you go to the website which OldPhil there is a disclaimer which warns that you need to contact the Alienware technical support before trying to overclock.

The overclocking feature of Area-51 m5790 mobile systems is available on BIOS version 1.19. To upgrade the Area-51 m5790 BIOS, contact Alienware Technical Support. Failure to do so may result in the system warranty being void. For more information conatct Dell Support.

The model of this Alienware has not been posted, so we don't know what the BIOS version is.  Because of this we don't know if the instruction in the link OldPhil posted is applicable here.  I suspect that since this has Turbo Boost overclocking will not be an option.

If this was my computer I would leave it as is, except for possibly upgrading the GPU.  If you decide to do this you will need to find out what the Wattage and amperage is for the 12V rail on your PSU so you will know if any PSU you may be interested in can handle it.

Please post the model of this Alienware.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#11 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

also when overclocking what is the difference between static and adaptive?

??? :)

#12 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

To be honest if you don't understand how overclocking really works you shouldn't be doing it, even if your computer is under warranty, you don't want to wait till they get you a new one because a piece of hardware basically melted in your case (Altough most new hardware is protected from this kind of harm it still can happen).

Anyways, we can't do mutch if you don't tell us what you are trying to overclock, please follow the instructions provided by dc3 and post your speccy snapshot in your next post

Also computers shut down when you overclock them too mutch because of the amount of heat generated is more than what can be dissipated by the cooling solution, so it'd be nice to know what alienware computer you are using as to know what cooling solution it uses.

And if you mean static or adaptive voltages the difference is that, as you might work out by the name of the option, the static one uses the voltage you set it to at all times and the adaptive one increases or decreases it according to workload, going from it's own hardcoded lower limit to the limit you configure (or in case you don't get to set it the max the CPU allows).

Anyways, i'm no expert and i'm working blind here, don't take my word for everything.

Edited by Datcoolguy, 13 February 2014 - 11:50 PM.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users