Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Infection: JRT stalls?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

JRT seems to be taking a very long time to complete. Moreover, it seems to stall at a specific stage during its processing. Is this an error, or is the program simply requiring a long time to complete? Does my laptop have an infection?

I have run JRT several instances before over the past few months. Each time, JRT only took about ten minutes to complete. Today, I decided to run JRT because I run my other anti-virus, anti-malware, etc. programs  weekly. So, when I opened JRT today, it prompted me to update to the latest version. I delete the old/current version and downloaded the new one. Subsequently, I turned off MSE real-time protection, then opened and clicked to run JRT. After doing so, JRT proceeds and advances after the first several steps, but then it seems to stall at "Checking Processes." The first time I tried to run it today, it was taking well over half an hour. So, I exited out and attempted to delete, reinstall, and rerun it. My laptop is currently running JRT. It is still taking forever to advance past "Checking Processes."

Over the past few days, I have run MBAM, MBAR, MSE, AdwCleaner, and SAS. They have found nothing. So, I find it strange that JRT is taking atypically longer to complete when it has only required ten minutes or so in the past and that my other anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware programs have found no infections lately.

Can someone please shed some light on this? Am I just not waiting long enough for JRT to complete?

I am currently using someone else's laptop because JRT is running on my laptop. It's been at least half an hour since it started.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

What version of JRT are you using? thisisu frequently updates JRT...the most current version (6.1.1) was released a few days ago.

There have been a few reported instances to the developer where JRT would not run properly. Sometimes there isn't a clear explanation as to why without the developer having access to more specific information. Try running it in Safe Mode.

BTW, I doubt you have an infection. JRT was created to remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware. The tool is designed to remove all traces of these types of programs which includes services, registry values, registry keys, files, and folders. The tool will also restore some default settings for Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox and Google Chrome (somewhat supported). It can delete any potentially unwanted extensions from Extension folders and registry.

These programs do not fall in the same category as malicious files such as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

A many thanks for the quick and informed reply, quietman. I sincerely appreciate it.

I currently have and tried using the latest version (6.1.1,) which was released a few days ago as you stated. On my JRT window, it has February 4th, 2014 listed as the date.

I will attempt to run it in Safe Mode. I just clicked out of JRT once again after waiting over an hour and a half for it to complete. It just sits at the "Checking Processes" stage. I'll will post shortly after attempting to use it in Safe Mode, which should be within the next hour or so. I might just do it now.

Well, that seemingly is a relief. Thank you for the clarification about JRT functionality as well as the possibility of an infection on my laptop.

While I was doing some routine cleaning/safekeeping last night, amongst other things, I noticed that there is something called GoogleToolbarInstaller_updater_signed in a sub folder of my Google folder. Is that application nothing to worry about?

#4 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Just to let you know, quietman, JRT worked in Safe Mode and only required several minutes to complete. The log was clean.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

From your description it sounds like JRT is hanging/freezing on something during the Checking Processes stage of its scan. While that is not normal...it is not uncommon with scanning tools.

What is GoogleToolbarInstaller_updater_signed.exe
Analysis and Details of googletoolbarinstaller_updater_signed.exe

#6 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking; however, I thought it would be best to seek the advice and insight of experts because my knowledge is limited. Moreover, I did not think it would be wise to make the decision on my own since I am only so informed on such matters.

Much obliged for your help, quietman. A thousand apologies to request you to do work for me such as providing info on the googletoolbarinstaller_updater_signed.exe  ...I looked up and found those same or similar links last night, but I also saw some links for a virus being associated with the application. So, I just sought to be safe. I didn't mean to cause you to go find that info and post it for me. I appreciate you doing so.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Not a problem.

Just so you know....when searching for malware removal assistance on the Internet or for suspicious files, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. In some cases if the fix is a free download, users may be enticed to download a malicious file or be redirected to a malicious web site.

#8 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

I was aware of how there is (much) disinformation as well as (legit) information about malware removal and similar topics. In regards to the googletoolbar_updater_signed application, I wasn't really informed at all about it prior to my discovery of it. I was guessing what it was and had thought what it might be, but I also thought that I should seek much better insight than what I possessed in order to establish a (most or more) accurate opinion and verdict. Haha, I just don't think that I am knowledgeable enough to always tell when the specific site/"info" is legitimate or not. There are so many sites out there that seemingly attempt to help (as you undoubtedly are aware of.)

Once again, much obliged, kind sir. You have been most helpful.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

You're welcome.