Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

waterfox takes over firefox?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Short story first(as people get confused with my detailed descriptions sometimes... hehe)
I decided to try waterfox.  I installed it and opened it... looks good.  works well so far. 
BUT, when I went to open firefox and have them side by side........  waterfox opened.  I found EVERY shortcut and program for firefox and it opens waterfox.
I realized that waterfox was built on top of firefox but, I didn't realize that meant it was built on top of it on MY computer.  I thought it was a completely separate program.

Long story:
One of the games I play on facebook wasn't allowing me to send and ask for gifts.  I disabled every addon that could have been messing with it... no change.  Never could figure it out and found a couple others that had the same issue.  The developers just said to try a new browser.  I already knew that IE didn't have that issue...
I HATE change...  It's tough on me.  I've been using firefox for somewhere around 10 years.  I HATE MS and Google... don't trust google so I want nothing to do with Chrome...  There are a few others out there worth looking at but, I came across waterfox, saw that it was built off of firefox and thought I'd try it.
Interestingly, the gift issue seems fixed using it.
But, I didn't mean to replace firefox all together.  I wanted to test it out, not necessarily give up firefox completely.

How did I miss that this would happen?  Do they spell it out when either downloading or installing?  I certainly didn't see anything that told me I wouldn't be able to open firefox by itself again.
just a little confused.
So far, I can barely tell it's different.  So, unless there's some big flaws I'm unaware of, I'm okay with just using it.  I mean, so far it's taking care of one issue I had... so that's good.
Just the same, I just didn't expect that opening up firefox was going to open waterfox every time.  Odd...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'm not an expert on 32 bit vs 64 bit by any means. But it appears that Waterfox and Firefox are the same thing, just depends on if it's 32 bit or 64 bit.

With that said, you'll need to create a unique profile in Waterfox to be able to open them side by side. According to what I have been able to find.

EDIT: For those just reading this, Firefox is the 32 bit version and Waterfox being the 64 bit version of the Mozilla Foundation browsers.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thanks. 
It was a bit confusing and shocking to find what happened. 
Unless something has changed, waterfox, as far as I knew, was created by others by altering firefox.  What I THOUGHT was that it was a separate browser.  You can't go to mozilla.org and download waterfox... it just isn't there.  I once read that mozilla had no desire to jump into a 64 bit browser.  So as far as I knew, or thought, waterfox was b a different group of people and was a separate but almost clone of firefox.  I just didn't realize that installing it would cause my original firefox to not work.  They're located in different folders on my computer.  The original firefox folder, program, icons, are all there...  So on my desktop I have a firefox and a waterfox icon... both leading to different paths... both opening up waterfox.
it was just one of those things where I was like... but but but... uh, what?  what just happened?
I'm not disappointed with waterfox so far...  I just feel like I should have been made more aware of what was going to happen, or that it shouldn't have happened.  I think, in my opinion, it should have just been a separate thing... even though it is essentially the same.
hmmm... oh well.
Thanks

Below is all I could find that would even HINT at what it would or would not do...  I looked and looked and so far haven't found anything suggesting that installing it would cause my firefox icons to open waterfox... 
Again...  oh well.

Waterfox is a high performance browser based on the Mozilla Firefox source code.

Caution: Waterfox shares the same profile data that Firefox does.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

Caution: Waterfox shares the same profile data that Firefox does.

Aha! there is the key to it. They share the same profile. That's why you're seeing this behavior. When you open the browser it looks for the default profile first.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Just figured something out this morning.  If I open firefox first, I can run firefox...  but once waterfox is open, any firefox shortcut I open will open waterfox...
I closed waterfox and opened firefox again, and firefox opened.
Interesting.

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,740 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

Try opening Firefox, then Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General, and make sure "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser at startup" is checked,  Close and restart Firefox.  If it asks you if you want to make Firefox the default, select yes. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users