Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Malware using adwCleaner now no internet conection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 belrouk

belrouk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hi--
My computer: Windows 7, sp1

Not sure how i got the malware to begin with but the symptoms were when i was websurfing, this annoying popup would apear: gon.driveopen 

SO i folowed some instructions to get it off my computer, which said to dowload AdwCleaner and run it. 
Ran AdwCleaner which forced me to restart my computer and when it did, i have no wireless internet conection. It says i have limited connectivity to my router and no internet conection. I can't even connect to the router, let alone the internet. Also whenever i would restart my computer, internet connection would default itself to thinking i wanted a proxy connection (which i don't have). i did fix that while i was fixing regestries and starting up services

my LAN ports don't work, and haven't for some time so i can't go that route

things i have tried:
*restarting router and modem. no change, internet still works fine on other devices
*forcing my IPv4 address to connect to the router. still can't connect to the router, can ping 4.2.2.2 though but not www.google.ca and not if this is even helpful
*looked at all the services used for internet conection, server is not running
*looked at device manager and under "view all connections" have an warning symbol over HTTP 
* repaired regestries using FSS. ADT wasn't found so now i have that
*windows networ dignostic manager, tried serveral times must useful information was that it wasn't getting an IP address from the router. 
*tried to flush dns, resting IPv4and IPv6 and winsock. nochange.

I also looked at the log for AdwCleaner, it removed a bunch of programs and folders under program files and appdata also removed a bunch of regestry keys all under HKEY/sofware

And still stuck. any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 10 February 2014 - 03:43 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lornhane

Lornhane

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

I would try reinstalling your network drivers. It is possible a virus attached itself to your network drivers and when removing the virus it damaged them.

Also i would do a reset in internet options, it may clear your proxy issue.

Edited by Lornhane, 10 February 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#3 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Try reading this reply by Condobloke.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518464/ran-adwcleaner-now-cant-access-internet/

#4 belrouk

belrouk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Tried this, didn't work

Also tried using a USB wireless driver. Still didn't connect to the internet even after installing the drivers

#5 Retired Mx Man

Retired Mx Man

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

I'm having the same type of issue on my work computer.  When I delete Gorilla Price from the system, I lose my internet connectivity.  Doing a restore gets me back to normal, but it also brings back Gorilla Price.  I'm not really a windows guy, so try to make this simple for me.

(I Love Fruit!)

#6 bguenther

bguenther

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:44 AM

I assume you have long fixed this already but incase someone else stumbles on this problem, this has worked for me many times. (The below is assuming you have windows 7 or newer, although the same command works on older versions of windows, the method of getting to it is a bit different.)

Click start menu>type cmd>right click on cmd and run as administrator>in cmd type netsh winsock reset>press enter> restart computer and all should be well.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

I assume you have long fixed this already but incase someone else stumbles on this problem, this has worked for me many times. (The below is assuming you have windows 7 or newer, although the same command works on older versions of windows, the method of getting to it is a bit different.)

Click start menu>type cmd>right click on cmd and run as administrator>in cmd type netsh winsock reset>press enter> restart computer and all should be well.

That method was suggested by Condobloke in the topic linked to above (Post #4).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users