Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ways to bypass the system password on a laptop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

I have a family member who lost the password to the booting system b4 windows. She doesn't know how the system password starting popping up (maybe from son attempting windows password way too much?). but she cannot log in, it was a used laptop so the system password was already placed. I heard that it's basically impossible to bypass unless you replace the motherboard. I also heard that you can remove and the lithium battery for a few minutes and insert it back will reset the system password. Is this true? Let me know please ty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Check the system manuals and manufacturer documentation available online.

Louis

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Are we talking about the Bios password or Windows password?  Bios password, there is no way to go around them anymore, same with the hard drive locking passwords, that can be set in the bios.  As for Windows, cannot help you there.  We do not know you or even if the system is yours, so cannot help you with breaking into the Windows system, even though there is information out there on the Internet through Search engines, that will tell you.  Some bad, some good.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

I inherited an Acer mini awhile back from my grand son, he had passworded it I tried several ideas and tips to no avail.  I gave up and tried the factory restore I hit F10 and crossed my fingers, all went well also probably got rid of a bunch of junk in the process.  That may be you out!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

If its an old xp system at 1 stage all you had to do was reboot into safe mode  disable the password thru there.

#6 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

Yes it's the BIOS password. As for age, I haven't seen the laptop yet and they bought it about two years ago but it was used so not sure until I see it. I ask because I actually wanna try it and add more experience to my learning but if it's almost impossible to bypass it then I guess it's pointless right? What about the whole mobo swap thing?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Take a look...at the system documentation.

Microsoft considers a change of motherboard to constitute a different/new system, which will not be covered by the licensing agreement on an OEM system.

Obviously...every laptop is an OEM system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

I have looked into this, you can call the manufacturer most will reset the password if you can prove ownership.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users