Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Netgear stopping working...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nanaki

Nanaki

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hello good evening to you all!

I would like for your help to solve this issue with Netgear.

I have bought this Netgear DGND3300v2 and it has been a year old I believe.

Then suddenly it won't get DNS sort out and i've tried to put in Google's DNS address manually and it won't work and the website isnt showing up.

I have another router for back up which is currently using EE bright box and it is up and running no problem.

I hate it when this has happened and I end up ditch the router and I don't want to ditch this Netgear cuz it cost me money to get new one cuz of previous router has not working properly and old.

Because of Netgear I bought is suitable for gamers and don't want to throw that away.

I don't really understand to why each of them is working and other is not working?

My laptop is windows 8.1.

Amy questions and I will try and reply.

Many thanks

Nanaki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

Have you tried a factory reset? Check your user guide on how to do this. If you don't have one you can get it here.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/397240/Netgear-Dgnd3300v2-Rangemax-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Modem-Router.html

If a factory reset doesn't resolve the issue you can see if a firmware update is available.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Nanaki

Nanaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

I'll try that, i have looked around how to get it factory reset. but will let you know any updates. thanks.

#4 Nanaki

Nanaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

I have erased the configration and start from a scratch and got it up and running but could not get the internet up as I have a 'I' lit up as red. And I could not check the firmwork cuz Netgear got no connection to the internet. When I logged in with Netgear and the DNS is not showing up. So I have no ideas where to start and what to do.....

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

You don't need an Internet connection to check firmware version. Use the documentation I linked you to in my previous post to see how to view your configuration and firmware version.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Nanaki

Nanaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I will be back on in the morning and have a look at what version is this and post.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

There is no set time frame that states that electronics will work for decades.  They can go out after a month, a year, a few years, a decade.  If you have done a reset,and it is still not pulling info from the modem, then try power cycling the modem.  Two things can be the problem here.  Either the modem or the router.  Only way to find out, is first try a different router.  If the other router does not pull the IP & DNS information from the modem, then most likely your modem is the culprit.

#8 Nanaki

Nanaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

Ugh! How do you do power cycling the modem?

I have currently using different router and its working perfectly.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

You go to it and unplug it, or turn off the surge strip that it and the router are plugged into.  If using a different router is working, then yes the other one was bad.  You can try to re-flash with the latest firmware on Netgear's site, which can be found at http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/Disclaimer.aspx?redirecturl=http://netgeardownload.registria.com/single_page_registration?product[sku]=dgnd3300v2&download_url=http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGND3300V2/DGND3300v2%20Firmware%20Version%202.1.00.53%20(For%20NA%20Users%20Only).zip and see if that fixes the problem.

See if the updated firmware fixes the old one, before e-cycling.  The basics of knowing how to power cycle the equipment, connecting it all should be something that everyone needs to learn.  Next is securing their wifi network.  Info for setting up a network, you can see http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375207,00.asp  Or just ask away.  The power cycling & troubleshooting is something that I try to teach all of my customers how to do.  It like learning how to drive a car.  You have to learn sometime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users