Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Shockwave Plugin

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RivqaK

RivqaK

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox on my Dell XPS laptop. Almost hourly I get a message to "stop" the script that be busy or "continue"

I've updated everything I know and wonder what's up with this.

Appreciate any insight. It's becoming a real pain.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2014 - 02:53 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

I remember that message quite well on my XP when I was streaming music. Did everything I could for the problem, gave up. Now that I am on 8.1, with a wee bit more Ram and a few other bells and whistles, I have not had the problem.

Conclusion...do you have enough Ram?

#3 RivqaK

RivqaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

I have 8 GB of ram with only 7.74 useable. Does that mean I have enough? Or maybe a better question is where should I look to see how much is in use?

Thanks

#4 frankhad

frankhad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm having the same problem, but it doesn't seem to be related to the amount of memory I have.

I use Firefox almost exclusively on my desktop with the home page set to load our local newspaper, which I keep open in a tab as I use additional tabs for each site I'm visiting during a session. Almost every incident of Shockwave crashing seems to originate in the newspaper site, though I seem to recall other sites (such as salon.com) occasionally coughing up a Shockwave crash. What prompts me to question memory is the fact that I also use my laptop (with less memory) in the same manner and never have a Shockwave crash.

I'd like to find a solution to this annoying problem also.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Worth a look, IMO:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500 .

Louis

#6 RivqaK

RivqaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thank you, Louis for your response. The problem seems similiar to what I'm dealing with except I am using firefox. Would a similiar fix be available for firefox? I think firefox has made some changes on how it allows java to run but I'm not real familiar with the changes and if it's the culprit.
I'd posted in another place in the forum about not being able to update my java on the x64 side of things and can't even get IE to function if wanted to.

#7 RivqaK

RivqaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

I have it giving me the message about stopping or continuing on many sites so not really sure one or another is the culprit for me. I'd definitely like to find a solution.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Well...my thinking would be...if the explanation provided is for IE and I don't use IE...and it's clear from the explanation that it's a browser issue, not a Windows isse...then I would try to find comparable documentation within the forum for whatever browser I am using.

If it's a Windows situation, the the pertinent data should apply across the spectrum of browsers used.

Louis

#9 RivqaK

RivqaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Thanks Louis,
I am thinking your probably right on it being a browser issue. I will try to see if can find some answers in regard to the browser.

I can't get my IE to work at all so that's no help and could try chrome or Opera and see what happens with these.

#10 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Check out this link, it deals with Firefox and the flash crash

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/978169

#11 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

RivqaK,

Okay, you have 64 bits, correct? You are not, by any chance using Waterfox? That does have known issues with crashes on Windows 7.

#12 RivqaK

RivqaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

I did what was suggested at the link for the Firefox and flash crash report. I had a dickens of a time finding which file to add it to as it brought up several. Now waiting to see if this will resolve the issue.
No, not using Waterfox. Not even sure what it is :)

#13 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Waterfox is Firefox's browser for 64 bits and 64 bits only...

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/

I have corrected a few issues with Firefox via their forums, they are not bad.Please let us know how it turns out and Good Luck!

by the by how are you doing with IE?

#14 RivqaK

RivqaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

I apologize for not getting back on sooner. My schedule has been nuts.
I have done most of what everyone has suggested and still on occassion have the message about a script being busy and asking if I want to continue or abort.
Even if not totally fixed must have done something right. I will be back at trying to resolve it again now.
Appreciate everyone's help.

By the way battyhippie, should I be using firefox's browser for 64 bits or not go there?

Thanks

#15 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

Hey, badly scripted shockwave apps can make it freeze, giving you that "error screen", are pages all over the place doing that or just certain ones?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users