Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Essentials scan

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wickerman

wickerman

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

I have had Windows 7 since it first came out, and I have done several scans with programmes like Malware Bytes and Spybot.

but I have never done a scan with Essentials before. so I thought Id' try it. I started it on thur 6th 5 30 pm approx. and it is still running

today Mon 10th 9 0am.is this normal or should I shut it down. I must add that it is still running it doesn't' appear to be stuck.

your advise would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

That is far too long for a scan - 1-3 hours is the sort of time frame I would expect depending upon how many files are on the system.

Do you have any other antivirus product installed?  If you do then it needs to be disabled before you run another antivirus product, otherwise you will get conflicts between the two which will slow everything down.

#3 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

Thanks   dis62 will remember that next time ,I will try again.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

It really depends on what type of scan you did, and how large the hard drives are that it is scanning.  Any Anti-Virus is going to take a long time, if you choose a full in depth scan, and the drives are over 1TB.

#5 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

It really depends on what type of scan you did, and how large the hard drives are that it is scanning.  Any Anti-Virus is going to take a long time, if you choose a full in depth scan, and the drives are over 1TB.

I agree that full scans may take a long time but wickerman is saying that a scan is still running after more than 3 days!  That cannot be normal, surely.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

I agree that full scans may take a long time but wickerman is saying that a scan is still running after more than 3 days!  That cannot be normal, surely.

Depends on the number of drives it is scanning, how deep of a scan, how large the drives are.

#7 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Thanks to both of you for your help. I was advised initially to run  ESET,that told me it would have to uninstall essentials  for it  to work so I gave it permission. 

it ran for hours and got nowhere, so I uninstalled it and re installed essentials  that's when I ran a full scan. I have since knocked it off and run a quick scan .

it said it found  nothing, so I am going to leave it for now let the computer settle down and try something else.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

@ wickerman for future reference.

Generally there are three types of scans offered by most anti-virus and anti-malware programs:
  • Quick Scan only checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. The length of time for performing a Quick scan will vary but it generally takes about 15-30 minutes so they can be performed daily.
  • Full Scan is much more comprehensive since it scans the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands. The length of time for performing a Full scan will also vary but because it is so comprehensive, this type of scan can take several hours. Most Full Scans can be scheduled to run late at night when not using the computer so you can perform a weekly scan without having to monitor it.
  • Custom Scan allows the user to select any files and folders on the hard drive to be scanned.
Anti-virus programs can use a scanning engine with Behavioral Analysis, Heuristic analysis or a combination of both. Heuristic scanning methods vary depending on the vendor. Some claim to allow emulation of the file's activities in a virtual sandbox. Others scan the file more intensively, searching line by line inspecting the code in a file to see if it contains virus-like characteristics. If the number of these characteristics/instructions exceeds a pre-defined threshold, the file is flagged as a possible virus.

In most cases when performing routine security checks, only a Quick Scan is needed. A Full Scan is recommended for heavily infected systems.

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether it stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
Note:
-- Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.
-- Although they should not affect an anti-virus scan, if the screensaver, hibernation or Sleep Mode are not turned off before scanning, those features can sometimes have odd effects when attempting to perform a scan. Some folks create special power schemes to use when doing their scans while others just turn these features off until the scan is complete.

To speed up a scan, uninstall unnecessary programs, clean out temporary files, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, perform a Quick Scan instead of a Full one and do not use the computer during the scan. In some case you may need to try scanning in safe mode.

However, if the scanner freezes and does not continue any further, you may just have to terminate it and try again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hello -

To fully diagnose problems like this, please complete these scans.

First we need to know what security programs are installed -

Download Screen317 Security Check and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
* Please Copy and Paste the contents of that document.
Note:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop to run it.
Checkmark following boxes:
* Flush DNS
* Report IE Proxy Settings
* Reset IE Proxy Settings
* Report FF Proxy Settings
* Reset FF Proxy Settings
* List last 10 Event Viewer log
* List Installed Programs
* List Devices (do NOT change any settings here)
* List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Click Go and post the result. (result.txt)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

BTW wickerman...I forgot to mention that you can always supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan. ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users