Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop randomly shuts off when cold. HELP!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cvcooper

cvcooper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

Ok I've been trying to do this on my own for about a month and I'm at a loss.  I have an asus u56e I bought from my brother.  When it's cold and not on a battery (ie I'm on the road in my car) it starts to load up then shuts down.  Then I power on again and it gets a little further then shuts down.  This goes on and on for several times till it stays on eventually.  

I have diagnosed the HD, mem86 tested it (though I heard it only does my "first" stick of ram, I have cleaned windows up, did sfc scan, check disk, updated bios/all drivers, etc everything I can think of.  This is a basically clean install of windows 7.

I don't know if you can check the motherboard for certain problems, but google hasn't been helpful.  Caveat, he did spill soda on the keyboard and I ordered one from ebay, got in and replaced it.  There was random stickiness in the computer though not terrible.  It runs great once warm or on a power source.  The power button is a little rough but I doubt that's it.

Gotten 41, 51 etc error codes.  Makes no sense I bring it home not on charger same power profile no restarts.  Even in a semi warm car or cold car always randomly rebooting.  IDK what to do.

I'm completely out of ideas.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:23 AM

All the residue from the soda spill needs to be removed from inside the laptop.  It can cause corrosion and shorting.

There is a good article here on how to clean a laptop after a spill.

#3 cvcooper

cvcooper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

thanks bud I'll give it a run.  When adding new keyboard the hard keys on the touchpad were off and clicking, now they don't work.  I didn't touch it so not sure why as the touchpad and keyboard is seperate but obviously something is slightly off.  I'll give it a run,thanks for your response and update accordingly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users