Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win7 install issue

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Visceris

Visceris

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

ok so i have an asus x502ca with a new hard drive that im trying to install windows 7 on...i need to do it through a usb cuz there isnt a dvd drive...but every time it gets to where u load windows it says cd/dvd device driver missing...i see lots of posts around with this issue but not one helps me...i dont know what driver to download   i tried a usb driver but i cant get it to recognize it on the usb i stuck in

any help is appreciated     

p.s. i kno this bootable win7 usb works cuz i have used it before   

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I've tried to do some research on your issues but it's difficult to do so just as you indicated

So with your new hard drive, is your computer up & running ok?

--- If so, what OS is it?

Connect a known working USB and see if it becomes recognized

--- If it does, maybe there is a problem with the USB you are using

--- If it doesn't, then it needs to be determined how to get the computer to recognize a USB before you can move on

#3 Visceris

Visceris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

It is a fresh brand new hard drive. No OS on it yet. Thats what im trying to do. I know the usb flash drive that im using works cuz i just installed windows on another computer last week with it. I just for some reason keep getting the error sayin no device driver found for the cd/dvd drive. There isnt one on this laptop. Just usb. Idk how to get past this.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

I believe you need to install the Mass Storage Drivers at time of install. Go to the Asus support page here. Click Drivers and Tools.  Click your OS in the dropdown box and look under Others. You should find Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. Unzip the file after download and put the files on the root of your USB flash drive. During the install Windows will ask to Load drivers.

E7Z99.png

Make sure your BIOS is set for AHCI mode.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Since you just installed windows on another computer last week with it does that mean you are following the exact same procedure on the computer you are working on now?

Onto the fact that the computer doesn't seem to recognize the USB you are using, have the USB in, shut down, start up to setup and see if the BIOS sees it

--- If it does, set it to first boot priority

--- I saw the note about AHCI mode, look for it. I didn't look for it when I checked my BIOS setup

Let us know what happens 

#6 Visceris

Visceris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

ok so no luck at all with this   i downloaded that driver package and put it on another usb..but it still says it needs the driver   i hit browse to look for it but the usb doesnt show up to select          it does show up in bios asking if i want to boot from it so it does see it          as for the AHCI mode i cannot find that anywhere...all i see is i think xhci mode     im completely lost...ive never had anything like this happen before

as for the pic up higher in a previous post...i dont even get there   i get a similar looking screen which is where it says load drivers...i cant get to where i can make partitions and all that 

Edited by Visceris, 14 February 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

I can understand what you mean when you say you have never seen this before

Since you are confidant your bootable Win7 USB works just fine, we’ll accept that

On the new hard drive, are you sure it’s properly installed and ready to use?

On trying to install Windows 7, are you trying to do an upgrade to Windows 7 from a prior OS?

--- If so did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if there are any issues – including drivers?

--- There might even be a BIOS issue

The USB is seen in the BIOS but even though you try to set it up to boot from it doesn’t

--- Those driver packages you are trying don’t help

--- Go to the manufacturers website and attain the drivers for your make/model and burn them to CD so you can apply which ones you need to your computer

--- Since the computer doesn’t boot up how are you installing driver packages?

Do you still have the old hard dive and are you able to reinstall it?

--- In fact s it possible to test your Win7 boot USB in that case?

--- If so and it the Win7 boot USB wants to work, then it probably means the new hard drive still needs some finishing setup 

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

I just found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2755139

Although it doesn't specifically address your issue, it does state you can disable your cd/dvd device and use your USB ISO along with some troubleshooting tips and it includes Windows 7 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

In BIOS under the Boot section make sure fast boot is disabled. If enabled, you will not be able to boot from a USB flash drive. The SATA configuration is under the Advanced section. Is this where you found XHCI?

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

In reviewing what's going on, I suspect your new hard drive is installed properly and ready to go

--- That said, I have read the issue you are running into is common when new hardware is being used and in your case its a new hard drive

--- When you used your bootable Win7 USB before was it on a hard drive already in use (original hardware) vs. a blank brand new hard drive (new hardware}?

Unfortunately even though that issue has been brought up, I haven't seen the solution yet on acquiring the USB driver, it's as if it's the mystery of the ages

--- I did find a Windows 8 Compatibility Center and tested it to find proper drivers for my PNY 8GB flash drive for 2 models

------ Naturally I can't tell if my PNY 8GB flash drive is one of those models but I guess that's the nature of the computer world

Then I tried to pull up Windows 7 Compatibility Center but all that did was lead me back to the Windows 8 website

I also went on PNY's website to investigate USB drivers but  ..

But is it possible the drivers for your make/model could be helpful?

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

I am very interested in this topic because one of my friends has a laptop without a DVD drive

However trying to find solutions on how to do what you want to do on new hardware with a USB flash drive is more than elusive

So I'd say get an external DVD drive, download the exact Windows 7 version ISO onto a DVD & go from there 

I know your bootable USB drive has worked before but the difference this time appears to be you are trying to do so on new hardware

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

You guys need to add an LG slim USB CD to your tool sheds, it has many uses besides beating the issue you have now.  As cheap as many sticks out there!

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Powered-Ergonomic-Portable-External/dp/B004W88SBE

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 AbsolutoCaos

AbsolutoCaos

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hi all,

Visceris, is the usb thumb drive plugged on a blue usb port wile booting to win7 setup? usb3 drivers aren't by default on the win7 install.

Could you try to boot the win7 on one of the black usb port's?

Best regards

#14 Visceris

Visceris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

All is good and working now. Thank u all for the help. I had to adjust more bios settings to get the usb to run properly. Then when i got to the part where i had to select a partition or make a new one..etc...it said the windows could not be installed due to the partion being a gpt section or something. I had to do a full clean of the drive to install it after that. Its all working now..in the process of installing updates.  Thanks all again

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for letting us know your solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users