Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel to Drop McAfee Name from Anti-Virus in favor of Intel Security

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Intel drops McAfee name from its security software

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Why not??  Everybody needs to have their own and I think the idea of an on-board AV is a serious one up on the competition.

#3 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

I thought it was quite interesting that McAfee was not too pleased, either, with the, as he stated, "worst software on the planet". Makes me wonder why he allowed them to use his name on it for so long. Kick-back?

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

I would have thought that getting performance and protection levels up, which in my view is the big issue with McAfee products at the moment, is more important than rebranding.

Will this mean that all new Intel processor based systems will come with Intel Security pre-installed?

#5 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

More than likely, yes. My Dell came with McAfee and the I don't quite know what it is (just haven't looked it up yet)  Intel Management and Security. Guess I should look it up, the McAfee is gone...

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

I thought it was quite interesting that McAfee was not too pleased, either, with the, as he stated, "worst software on the planet". Makes me wonder why he allowed them to use his name on it for so long. Kick-back?

Intel didn't want to change the name before this as far as I know. John has always wanted the name to be changed. John also has called the software a lot worse too :wink:

The name change is going to confuse people I foresee.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

~Currently in my last year of school, so replies might be more delayed~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

More than likely, yes. My Dell came with McAfee and the I don't quite know what it is (just haven't looked it up yet)  Intel Management and Security. Guess I should look it up, the McAfee is gone...

your mcafee is likely a 60-90 day free trial that if activated will drive you crazy to buy it after the trial

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

@ caperjac

Oh no, I have dealt with having McAfee in the past (the XP computer). I did not activated it, it was on the minute we powered up the computer. Okay, let it on so that I could download what I wanted for security, got rid of McAfee, ran the scans from the new security and was shocked how many PUPS McAfee let in. But as I stated, I have this Intel stuff that, yes, I really should see what it is. But sometimes with the crap ware, if ya ain't sure, just leave it, till ya know.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Most anti-virus programs detect and remove malicious files such as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits, bots etc.

PUPs do not fall into any of those categories although some anti-virus programs may have optional settings to detect and remove them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

Wondering if anyone posted the instructional video of how to remove Mcafee completely :hysterical:

Tekken

#11 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

I would buy a copy...where do I purchase it?

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

It couldn't possibly be based on the fact that Intel wants to put as much distance between themselves and the association of a certifiable crazy person as possible?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

Most anti-virus programs detect and remove malicious files such as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits, bots etc.

PUPs do not fall into any of those categories although some anti-virus programs may have optional settings to detect and remove them.

Impressive to say the least ,Just read your mvp bio, wow, Im a mvp also 2010-2014 ,but have nothing to brag about ,I work as a janitor ,lol

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#14 JohnHenery

JohnHenery

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

@ caperjac

Oh no, I have dealt with having McAfee in the past (the XP computer). I did not activated it, it was on the minute we powered up the computer. Okay, let it on so that I could download what I wanted for security, got rid of McAfee, ran the scans from the new security and was shocked how many PUPS McAfee let in. But as I stated, I have this Intel stuff that, yes, I really should see what it is. But sometimes with the crap ware, if ya ain't sure, just leave it, till ya know.

To be fair, you can never really judge a anything based on Brand recognition, in the IT industry. An excellent example is Norton Antivirus. Anybody you ask that thinks they know IT, will tell you that it is the worst (or at least tied with McAfee. But last time I actually looked into reviews, Norton AV (I think 2015) had around 4.5 stars. 

So McAfee has always been ridiculously resource intensive, and maybe even bad protection at times, but you should check out some reviews for the current version, before uninstalling, or chastizing.

Additionally, I would recommend Vipre to anybody. 

Also, Intel AV sounds pretty cool, but I would be reluctant to have it on my machine right away, as it is new to the AV game.. 

food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users