- Hewlett-Packard Pavilion dv6 notebook (DV6TQE) 64-bit. Product number: A1U59AV
- MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 Build 7601 (6.1.7601) came pre-installed when i bought the machine
- Intel Core i7- 2670QM CPU @ 2201MHz - Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
- Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17F9
- HP F.1B (23-10-2012) BIOS
- SMBIOS version 2.7
- 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) Physical RAM
- hp BD RW BD-5750H optical drive
- Seagate ST9750420AS HDD (SATA)
- Radeon HD 7470M (HP) + Intel HD Graphics Family (1366x768@60Hz)
- IDT High Definition Audio + Intel Display Audio
and more stuff which i don't know if would be necessary to state here
Router: Netgear DGN 1000
already i have a topic proceeding in
to make a backup of my precious data, in case those malware tries to delete everything, i am planning to buy a portable storage device (external).
actually my problem involves 2 components: NETWORKING and STORAGE. since one cannot post the same question in 2 topics i decided to post here.
i am planning to buy a portable storage device (external). now that puts me into a huge number of "permutations/combinations" of various specifications like:
1. SSD (electronic flash) OR HDD (magnetic electro-mechanical)
2. port options like USB3.0, thunderbolt, e-SATA, SCSI, firewire, ethernet, wi-fi, and lots more (affects data transfer speed).
3. weight and dimensions - portable lightweight or just external bulky; 2.5 or 3.5 inches.
4. self-powered or external power-sourced.
5. heat dissipation, with / without cooling fan, outer aluminium case.
6. RAID configurations and daisy-chainable or not.
8. Storage capacity.
9. Cost per GB.
10. Total cost.
11. Shock-proof and waterproof.
12. Reliability and Life of usage.
13. Warranty period.
14. Manufacturing company.
15. RPM of platters(5400, 7200, 10000, 15000) (affects data transfer speed).
16, cache size (affects data transfer speed).
17. Design aesthetics including shape, outer-case material grippability and colours.
18. compatibility with the file-systems of windows, mac, linux, etc.
19. bundled backup software with auto-backup functions.
20. bundled cloud storage.
plus any other stuff i am not aware of.
all said, my budget is upto INR 7000. specifications 9, 11, 12 are of prime importance. specification 13 should be atleast 3 - 5 years minimum. specification 14 should preferably be reliable and renowned. i am ok with external powered disks or not. capacity needed is 1TB or more. i dont need bundled cloud storage. i am somewhat contended with windows-compatibility, coz i dont possess any mac or linux products (except my android phone). i am not sure if SSD have higher life than magnetic HDD coz of absence of moving parts, all the same i am not sure if magnetic HDD have higher life than SSD coz of the low limit on the number of read-write-cycles of SSD; but since SSD are very expensive i think magnetic HDD would suffice. and i want a portable non-bulky HDD. specifications 5, 17, 19 and 21 would be added advantages though not mandatory. i dont know about specification 6, so i request your valuable suggestions. specification 7 is of no concern to me. specifications 15 and 16 should be reasonably as high as my budget can support.
your EXPERT suggestions would be welcome and valuable to me in finding the right one. any website that allows me to choose the right product based on my choice of specifications would be much appreciated. my laptop has only USB3.0 ports and not firewire, thunderbolt, e-SATA, SCSI, etc; any workarounds for this to achieve maximum transfer speed? BTW i want the HDD to be able to connect to a USB3.0 port on my laptop and also transmit/receive through WiFi. since those HDD with built-in wi-fi antennas are costly, i am ok with those HDD with ethernet ports/jacks (in addition to a USB3.0 male connector) so that i can use the HDD's ethernet male connector to plug into the female ethernet port of my modem/router (netgear DGN1000) which has wifi antenna, as a workaround; if this HDD is also costly, another workaround maybe to connect the HDD's USB3.0 male connector to a FEMALE USB3.0-TO-MALE RJ45 ETHERNET ADAPTER which plugs into the female ethernet port in my modem/router which has wifi antenna. quite confusing ! i dont know which method is cheaper and feasible for a fast data exchange.
please refer this
and more similar stuff.
BTW is a FEMALE USB3.0 TO MALE RJ45 ETHERNET ADAPTER practically possible? i found lots of these on e-bay ranging from 1 to 60 USD. are these working for real, or just cheats? if yes, what is the maximum transfer speed achievable by this setup?
2. also is a FEMALE USB3.0 TO wi-fi ADAPTER practically possible? i found lots of these on e-bay. are these working for real, or just cheats? if yes, what is the maximum transfer speed achievable by this setup?
i was referring to stuff like these:
says it wont practically work and suggests
UPDATE 1: thanks to
for sending me this wonderful link:
UPDATE 2: since it is time-consuming for anyone to go through all this and suggest something, i have narrowed down my choices and made it easy for you; which one of these is the best? :
which is advertised to possess military-grade shockproof and waterproof
any of the 1TB USB3.0 portable HDD from seagate or western digital [which are leaders in this business for decades, though they do not have military-grade shockproof and waterproof HDD ]
is ADATA DashDrive™ Durable HD710 fully manufactured using ADATA parts or ADATA only manufactures the encapsulation used to cover the hard drives outsourced from other companies like seagate, western-digital, toshiba, hitachi, and sells the finished product under ADATA brand, as mentioned in some websites?
timely, expert suggestions ASAP are appreciated and welcome. thanking you in advance
Edited by anniyan, 09 February 2014 - 09:35 PM.