Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about device manager

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

When I did a performance check with the Windows performance index it was lower than normal for graphics despite always having identical settings .

I decided to uninstall the graphics driver and disable a few things I don't use like VGA webcam etc.. and restarted and ran the performance index again , it now is right where it usually is , rating went up .

Is this OK and normal or what do you think is going on.  I have Intel's integrated graphics

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Do not worry what Performance manager states.  Microsoft finally realized that they came out with a false tool, and finally removed it from 8.1.  If you want to know how your system stands to others, then you need to run a performance comparison Bencmark tool like Passmark.  http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm  Here is a list of five free Benchmarking tools.  http://www.howtogeek.com/111733/how-to-benchmark-your-windows-pc-5-free-benchmarking-tools/  SiSoftware Sandra has always been one of the better freebies, and has been around for a long time.

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

OK thanks ,  do you know if you can disable some drivers in device manager without messing up your system .

Thanks again

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

I would not disable anything in Device manager, because it can screw things up on your system.   What is the manufacturer & model of the computer that is in question?  How much RAM is installed?

Edited by Blade, 09 February 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#5 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

It's an Asus U56E running Win 7 64 bit w/SP1 .  There's barely anything on it , I have over 80% of the hard drive empty and the memory is 6 gigs with only a very small portion used.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

Does not matter how much is stored on the hard drive.  What matters is the CPU that is installed on the motherboard, the GPU, and how much RAM.  The last would be what model & manufacturer of Hard drive.

If you just got the i5 CPU, you should be fine with most games out there.

Edited by Greg62702, 10 February 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#7 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Thank you ,  here is my concern though ,  the laptop computer is about two years old and I ran the test you said to do , my overall benchmark score was only 1228.6 which compared to what was shown on the screen by others is quite low .

The graphics are integrated which is a big factor apparently , the ram was the thing that received the highest score .   I don't play games .   My CPU score was also quite low by comparison .

Edited by herbman, 10 February 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

I would not worry about the benchmark.  Since you do not play games, you are fine.  The only thing I would suggest at this point, is replacing the old Platter drive on it with a SSD.  Right now you can get 240gb SSD's for around $130 on Newegg.com for the Crucial m500 240gb & under $140 on Crucial.com, for the same drive.

#9 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

What would be the reason for changing my hard drive to an SSD,  I don't care about boot times and I know i'll never even get to use half of the capacity of the one I got.

I never add anything and it's as full as it's going to get ,  I'm only using a tiny % as it is.

#10 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

If you are happy with your current setup you can simply ignore our recommendations on systems upgrades. Also switching to a SSD not only improves boot times but it also improves loading times for everything, it'll actually make your computer feel faster.

Anyways, ignore window's perfomance index, it's giving me a 5.2 on a system that can run any game at max settings without a hiccup just because of slow hard drive.

Why did you want to know about disabling drivers trough the device manager?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users